(19)

L E O N I E

The rest of the week dragged on. Heath and I hadn't  talked. It was making me feel like a right asshole. But leading him on would be worse. I told myself that this was for the best. That being friends with someone that is total husband material would never work. But I missed him. Damn it all.

On Saturday morning, I reluctantly get up at seven. Let me repeat. On a Saturday I got out of bed at seven. While I stood in the shower and attempted to wake up, I seriously considered consuming caffeine for a moment. But then I realised that I'd rather do a shot of horse jizz. I settled for a quick rub with my removeable shower head. I was feeling energetic after that.

It was hot out, I could tell from the sun beaming through the windows that it was going to be scorching. And I'd have to wear a protective get up at paintball. So I dressed in a pair of high waist shorts and a tank top. I pulled my hair into a bun and swiped on some mascara, figuring that I'd keep a fresh face so that I could do my makeup before Jade's tonight.

Bray's text message to let me know that he was downstairs came just as I was slipping an old pair of Doc Martens on. They were worn out. It wouldn't matter if I got paint on them.

"Later Freddie," I smiled at the sweet old man as he held the door open for me.

He tipped his hat. "Have a nice day, Miss Ashford."

The van was parked beside the curb. Bray was leaning out of the driver's window, Jess was sitting in the front and Alex was holding the sliding door open so that I could jump in. I sat beside him in the middle row and said hello to Ethan and Amy who were snuggled in the last row at the back.

"Your braid looks cute," I told Jess. It was a French braid and she ran her hand over it as she peered over her shoulder.

"Thanks."

"Yeah you can fucking wait," Bray mumbled as he indicated and pulled out from the curb. A cab behind him slammed his horn on. "Fuck off."

"So where are we going?" I asked. I hadn't taken care of any of the bookings. Alex and Bray organised where and when. I paid for it though.

"Matrix Tactical," Bray answered, his arm rested on the extended gear stick. "The one that we were going to go to, out of town, was booked up. This one looks good though. It's in Miami Dade. Oh and I'm gonna thrash the lot of you."

"Doubt it," Alex scoffed. "I have good aim."

I laughed, "is that what you tell girls so you can pull out and shoot your load all over them."

Bray didn't turn around but he held his fist out behind the front seats and I bumped his knuckles while Alex turned a rich deep red. Instant guilt. But I was still laughing.

Ethan shuffled a little further forward and leaned between the two of us and gave Alex a consoling pat on the shoulder. "You walked into that one, bro."

Alex nodded with a small smile but kept his head down. He'd live. It wasn't the worst that I could have done. Or have done in the past.

The banter continued as we drove and I recognised the turn off to Heath's neighbourhood as we got into Miami Dade. Bray peered back at me for a moment and then looked at the road again.
"Not to late, Lee," he said. "We could go and get Heath."