Chapter Eighteen [Part Three]

Their training sessions continued on until dinner, the team of five stepping before their respective classmates and giving them intermitted lessons between their practice sessions. The recruits were showing great progress, finding ways to grow and improve in ways that their cruel instructors couldn't make them do.

The large group that had resided on the second floor was relieved to find that the Advanced Engineering, Flight Training, and Survival students were safely at their respective tables in the mess hall. Their fellow teammates joined their friends, secretly telling them how grateful they were for their safety and concealed location.

"Thank god," Titus cried, picking up Akilina and holding her tightly. She laughed awkwardly, pulling away slightly to look into his eyes.

"What is wrong?" she asked innocently, seeing how shaken he was.

"The Veterans saw us," he breathed, looking towards the table of the higher-ups. Akilina's eyes widened slightly, shocked by what she had heard. "We kept it under control, but we were afraid that that patrol was going to come and find you."

"No," she assured him. "We remained safe. Do not worry."

"Hey guys," Dorian whispered, "come here." He motioned for his team of friends to join him, looking at the three boys. "Akilina and I have an idea."

Dorian quickly debriefed them, suggesting that all the groups should get up and mingle before they potentially went to war together. 

"We all are close to our teammates and, of course, that is a great thing. But if we are going to work as a cohesive team, we all need to get to know as many people as we can." The three boys instantly were in agreement, rushing to meet with the groups that they had talked with earlier that morning.

Within a matter of moments, all of the recruits rushed towards the line to pick up dinner. All of the groups dispersed, many of the recruits giving official introductions as they grabbed their meal trays. Even Akilina found that she was able to separate from Titus' protection, going to mingle with a group of younger recruits that were towards the back of the line. She had learned that they were in the Melee class, only able to speak highly of Titus and everything he had done to continue the training that their instructor never could master. She giggled, blushing gleefully as she spoke with them.

Lev had found himself at the front of the line with a few of the Flight Training students, immediately finding a young woman and man who were close to Marya. They instantly brought him into their small group of two, continuing their introductions with him. They were both as skillful as Marya had been, working closely with her as they helped their classmates to gain their licenses. He could feel the tension in his chest slowly releasing, calmed to hear more of Marya.

Rae had taken his turn to meet with the Survival students, curious by Titus' stories of Akilina's encounters with her instructor. A few of the girls had thrown him a flirty glance, causing him to run his hand through his hair as he approached a boy that was nearly his age.

Titus found himself approaching a small group towards the back of the room, introducing himself as he approached. One of the girls was from the Weaponry class and another was from Advanced Engineering, waving kindly to him as a boy from the Survival class noticed the familiar face.

"You are friends with Akilina, right?" he whispered, aware that the young girl was close to them. Titus nodded, shoving his hands deep into his pockets.

"Yes, I am. I'm sure you've seen me outside your classroom a few times," he grumbled, the two girls looking confused.

"I have," he muttered gravely. "I am sure she has told you plenty."