Chapter Twelve

Over time, training had transitioned from a requirement to a hobby. Weeks had passed, the endless training sessions causing the days to blur together. The facility had seen a lack of recruits coming in for training, keeping the routine repetitive. They all knew that they were getting nowhere in their training, but there was nothing that they could do about the issue.

The recruits did their best to move past the death of Marya, the teammates taking the longest. The other teams did their best to comfort her grieving friends, but it could only do so much for them.

Meals in the mess hall were oddly quiet, not because of the death of one of their fellow recruits but because they were feeling discouraged. Everyone would take turns exchanging glances towards the table of Veterans, their heads held low as their scowls swept the room.

The team of recruits stared silently, a chair left open in honor of Marya. Lev was popping his jaw, his brow furrowed as he glared at the table.

"We have to agree that they are suspicious," he muttered, rubbing his chin. "There is no way that this is all a coincidence."

"What are you muttering on about, Lev?" Rae grumbled, rubbing the exhaustion from his eyes.

"Nothing," he whispered, lowering his eyes as a Veteran glanced over at him. "I am just going on, again."

"That's what I thought." Rae lowered his eyes as well, pushing aside his plate.

The recruits had been sent to their rooms early after a rough day of training, waiting patiently for their room check. Their door had been propped open, the commotion from the other rooms slowly drifting into theirs.

They could hear one of the Veterans screaming because the trash can was too full, the young recruits apologizing profusely. Ayanna was scurrying down the hall, one of the Veterans chasing her down towards the mess hall. Akilina watched sadly, unable to help the poor girl.

The team waited patiently for the arrival of their Veteran, holding their breath as they inspected the room. He left without a word, slamming the door behind him as he moved on towards the next room.

"No need to break the door," Titus whispered, causing the recruits to stifle their laughter.

"May I suggest something?" Lev asked awkwardly, looking at the faces of his friends. "Do you think we could meet somewhere to discuss our suspicions without disruptions?"

"What do you mean, Lev?" Rae asked, obviously irritated.

"I mean that these Veterans are acting very odd and I think that we should talk about it." His voice was a hushed whisper as he sat forward. "Think about it. It is quite ironic that the Veterans are so harsh in a time of suffering and loss. Have you not noticed that?"

"He's got a point," Dorian admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. "Whether we are defeated in combat or we lose the life of a recruit, they sure as hell don't show any signs of mercy." Rae nodded, leaning against one of the beds.

"I can see your view on it." He shrugged, closing his eyes slowly. "I guess it just feels like a coincidence to me."

"I see what you mean," Titus interjected, "but the situation is obviously worse when we are at fault. Sure, the Veterans are continually harsh with you, but they are ruthless when you do something wrong." Although his words were spoken kindly, Rae couldn't help but flinch from the harsh reality.

"I'll come to your little meeting," he sighed, sitting up straight. "Maybe you all are onto something." He turned to Akilina, nudging her gently. "Will you be attending?"

All of the recruits turned their attention to her, shocked to see how violently she had been shaking. Her eyes were bloodshot, her lips quivering as their eyes looked her over.

"Please do not make me go," she shouted quickly, flashing her gaze between each of the boys. "I have absolutely no information to give. I do not think we have a reason to be suspicious." Her eyes were locked on the door as she pushed herself against the wall. "They surely will get us in trouble if we sneak out. Please, we should not do this." The boys thought about this for a moment, the silence crawling across her skin.

"We can leave you behind," Rae finally spoke, sighing reluctantly.

"That being said, we still will be going," Lev spoke quietly, looking at the young girl. "Just in case you change your mind." She shook her head, her knuckles white as she clenched her fists.

"I will not." Lev and Rae both shrugged, standing together to get ready for bed. Dorian made his way towards his bed, staring sadly at the empty bunk. He ran his fingers over the mattress, sighing softly as he gripped the bed sheet. He quickly turned his back, grabbing his belongings to change.

Titus crawled towards Akilina, placing his arm around her.

"Are you alright?" he whispered, feeling her body ease as he held her.

"I am alright." The response sounded automatic, her eyes glued to the floor. He observed her face, all of her emotions wiped clean. He rubbed her back, slowly pulling away before standing.

"You can always come to me for anything. Just remember that." She nodded, watching his feet as he made his way towards the bunk.

How can I tell them? she thought to herself, biting her nail as he walked past her. I feel as though I should tell them, but Gabriel could easily find out. She thought for a moment longer, fear filling the pit of her stomach.

"I have to tell Gabriel." Her voice had squeaked, causing her to clamp her hand over her mouth. She sighed with relief, thankful that no one had heard her.

I have to tell Gabriel, she thought again, chewing on her bottom lip. My teammates are showing suspicions. They could retaliate. I am supposed to tell Gabriel. She stared at the bathroom door, the world spinning around her.

"I have to tell him."