The one with, not 'goodbye,' but 'see you later'

Start from the beginning

"Do you know what they're talking about?" Austin leaned over and whispered in my ear, sending shivers up my spine.

"Not a clue," I whispered back. We both laughed and suddenly all attention was on us.

"What's so funny?" Taylor asked.

"Nothing," we shook our heads.

"Children," Taylor said, rolling her eyes.

We exited the elevator and met the security guys in the lobby. We all walked right next door to the restaurant and found the band waiting at a table in the back. We all sat down. I sat with Austin on my right and Taylor on my left with Ed next to Austin and Mom across from Taylor. We looked over the menu and I ordered pasta while Austin got a burger and Taylor and my mom both got a salad.

"So Kaitlyn... Austin," Caitlin, the band member, smirked.

"What?" I asked, glancing at Austin.

"How's it going?" She asked, giving us some suggestive eyebrows.

"Caitlin!" I said, my face turning red.

Austin and Taylor burst out laughing while I hid my face in my hands. Taylor leaned over and whispered something in Caitlin's ear. Caitlin joined in on the laughter and Taylor laughed even harder.

"What?" I whined.

"He slept over last night?" Caitlin questioned.

My eyes widened, "No! Well yes, but not like that! Ew, ugh, Caitlin!" I shuddered.

"Should I be offended?" Austin said, pretending to be hurt.

"No," I said before turning back to Taylor. "You were literally in the next room, that would be jus- ugh!"

"I'm glad to hear that," Mom said, making the situation a whole lot worse.

"Mom," I whined, but it came out as more of a voice crack, which of course made everyone laugh harder.

"I'm done," I said, throwing my hands in the air before crossing them over my chest.

"Aw babe, you look so cute when you pout," Austin said, tapping my nose.

"Stop," I whined, putting my head in my hands.

"Alright guys that's enough," my mom told Austin, Taylor, and Caitlin.

"Aw fine," Taylor complied.

We ate our meals and paid before leaving to go back to the hotel. When we got inside I ran to the bathroom and came back to see Taylor and Austin huddled in a corner whispering. I snuck up behind Taylor and threw my hands on her shoulders.

"Hey!" I said, making both of them jump.

"Hey Kait," Austin said.

"What were you whispering about?" I asked.

"Nothing," Taylor said, walking away.

I gave Austin a questioning look and he grabbed my hand. He led me over to the chairs and we sat down across from each other.

"We need to talk," he said.

I could feel the tears coming from just those four words. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"What! No! Why would I be breaking up with you?" Austin exclaimed, cupping his hands around my face.

"Well usually when someone says 'we need to talk' that means they're going to break up with you," I explained as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"No, I am not breaking up with you now or ever, I promise," Austin said, wiping my tear.

"Then what do we need to talk about?" I asked.

"I'm leaving," Austin said.

"Leaving?" I questioned.

"I'll be gone for two and a half weeks to go to New York and record, then I'll come back to open for a few more shows," he explained.

"When do you leave?" I asked.

"In a few hours," he replied.

"What!" I said.

"I'm sorry, I totally forgot to tell you, I really did," Austin said, looking down.

"Hey, it's okay, I'm not mad, I'm just," I sighed, "sad I guess. Three weeks is a long time without you."

"Hey don't be sad, we'll face time every night and text all day," he said, wiping away my tears.

"I'm going to miss you so much," I said, launching myself into his arms.

"I'm going to miss you more," he replied, wrapping his strong arms around me.

"How long exactly?" I asked, pulling away.

"A little over three hours," he said, brushing my hair out of my face. "Let's do something; what do you want to do?"

"Can we just hang out and watch a movie or something?" I said.

"That sounds perfect," he smiled.

We walked up to the hotel room where Ed and Taylor were already on the couch hanging out. We sat on the love seat and turned on a movie.

The movie was around three hours long, but it felt like a minute. Soon enough we were getting all of Austin's bags together and driving to the airport. Ed and Austin helped load the bags onto the jet and I stood by the car next to Taylor who insisted on coming for "moral support." All of the bags were on the plane and Austin said quick goodbyes to Taylor and Ed before coming over to me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his snaked around my waist. He picked me up and my tears started pouring.

"Hey, babe please don't cry, it breaks my heart," Austin said, looking into my eyes.

"Do you have to go?" I asked.

"I wish I didn't, but my management will kill me if I don't record these songs now," he smiled sadly.

"I know," I sighed sadly.

"Hey, it's only less than 18 days," he said, trying to cheer me up. "Then we get over two weeks together."

"Yeah, you're right," I said, forcing a smile.

"Alright, now I have to go; are you going to be okay?" He asked, glancing behind him.

I nodded, not wanting to break down again. "Okay." He cupped his hands around my face and planted a firm kiss on my lips.

"Goodbye," I said quietly.

"No, never say that," he shook his head. I raised an eyebrow at him and he smiled. "I'll see you later."

He got on the plane and I kept thinking about that 'I'll see you later.' Later is just too far away right now.