Girl Inside the Mirror

Told by xnightelsax

Have you ever heard those stories about Bloody Mary?

The ones where if you place three candles around your mirror around midnight and chant Bloody Mary three times?

Well, I'm pretty sure you have heard the stories, but the real question is if you have ever done it.

I know I have.

When I was in elementary school I used to be deathly afraid of the Bloody Mary stories. I was never really scared of much but people's stories about this unrealistic woman scared me. Many nights I couldn't go to the bathroom because all I could think about was her.

She was in my dreams and in my thoughts during the day. Even though I heard the tale can't work during the day, which I still think is a lie, I was still scared.

One night my Father got tired of me being scared and not sleeping all night, so he decided that we were going to do it together. He wanted to show me it wasn't real, that it was just an old scary tale.

I was in about Fourth or Fifth grade when my Father decided to do it. I woke up a little before midnight one night, scared to death, and met with my Father by the bathroom. My mum was still asleep and had no idea what was going on, for she was a heavy sleeper.

It was a cool October night that we did this. Just a week before Halloween. Cliché, I know.

We set up the night before so that way all we have to do is go to the bathroom, light the candles, and chant her name.

That's what we did.

Guess what.

Nothing happened.

So still being a child at a time, I got over the old tale and moved on with my life.

That was my mistake.

Many years later I started to remember the old tale, for I forgot about it as I got older. 

I learned there was more to the tale than just the woman being trapped in the mirror for all of eternity, who can only be summoned by a chant of her name.

I learned the so called true story. I heard many stories stating that it was true, but one really stood out to me. One that I thought was true.

It was the one about the house fire. Rich young woman who lived with her rich Father, but didn't know their great life was going to end so soon.

Nobody knows her real name, but this young woman was so full of herself that it made people sick. Always looking in the mirror to see if she looked okay. That was one mistake she made the night of the fire.

It was not told what caused the fire, but many think it was indeed the Father. The fire spread all over the house in minutes, killing her father along the way.

She got stuck in her room, surrounded by fires that soon would consume her room as well. She was worried for her life, like any of us would be. She wasn't ready to die; she didn't want to die.

She looked everywhere to find a way out but couldn't find one. So she gave up and sat down in a chair in front of her vanity. Brushing her hair slowly, she didn't know what was going to happen to her.

But you know the rest of the story. They never had her name so they named her Mary.

I always believed this story. The one about her being pushed off the cliff by her father was too unreal for me.