XX

Leo peered his eye through the camera lens, finger confident on the button.

"Honey stop, I just woke up," His girlfriend of 6 months mumbled, pulling the blanket higher on her shoulders.

"Exactly," Leo said, smiling at her. He focused the camera, capturing a clear picture of Maella with tired eyes and a slight twitch in her lips.

He pulled the new camera down to his lap, biting his bottom lip and brushing hair from her cheeks.

"Leo I'm serious," She pleaded, though still smiling at him widely.

"One more, may." He held the camera back up. "Look at the ceiling for me would you?"

She sighed and looked up with wide eyes. Her shirt fell off her shoulder, her hair wild around her face.

Before Leo could take the picture, he pulled his camera back into his lap. He leaned forward capturing her lips in a kiss. She giggled, holding his neck with dainty fingers.

They fell back onto the bed, Leo peppering kisses on her face playfully. He finally stopped, looking at her with a smile.

"I love you," He told her, kissing her forehead. She nodded.

"I love you, too, baby."

He let out a deep breath, setting his camera on the bedside table the couple shared. Leo stood, straightening a Polaroid that hung on the wall.

Maella rested her head on her bent knees, watching the boy.

"Ben's birthday is coming up," He said in the middle of his train of thought.

"Oh yeah?" She replied, pulling on a pair of black leggings.

"I think we're gonna do a surprise party," He told her.

"We?"

"Me, Adeline, Trixi, and Adam. And you if you want."

She pecked his lips. "Of course. We can have it here."

Leo considered it, messing with his hair.

"I'm not sure. We just moved in and we have all the boxes still so I dunno."

"Maybe this will give you the opportunity to actually unpack boxes then," Maella smirked. Leo rolled his eyes.

"You hush. We can just have it at his house. I can text Trixi about it later," He nodded.

"Did you finish his book?" She asked, pulling socks up her shins. Leo nodded with a smile.

With careful help from Adeline and a weekend secluded from the world, Ben finally published his first book. It was about a boy from Australia and his American friend fighting crime. It was basically the boys' friendship but Leo didn't mind.

"Mhm. Did you like it?" He grinned at her. She nodded.

"I like that Leroy got the girl at the end," She smirked, ruffling Leo's hair.

All of Leo's friends seemed on the up and up. Ike got accepted to his college on a football scholarship. Trixi opened her own tattoo parlor. Adam passed the bar exam.

Even thought none of them saw each other as much as they used to, they still meet at the park every Friday after work. Maella and Adeline go. Sometime's Trixi brings her newest girlfriend. They change every week though.

Leo followed his girlfriend out to the living room. She pulled her hair into a fat ponytail, dancing into the kitchen.

"What're you makin?" Leo asked, plopping on the new couch.

"My mom sent me a recipe for her Spanish rice so I'm attempting it." Her mouth pulled down into a small frown, focused on the dish.

Maella would have moved in with Leo sooner if it wasn't for her parents. They weren't controlling, she just hated to leave them alone. The only child in her family and the only one getting them through with the business.

Leo came up behind her, pulling her into him, kissing her temple.

"You okay?" He asked. She nodded, clearing her throat.

"I just miss them. I think I'll pop by actually. You don't have the right pan for this," She whispered, sliding out of his arms.

"Then what is this?" He held up a pot as she grabbed her purse. She stuttered and hesitated her speech.

"At least let me come with you," He smiled slightly. She nodded, brushing her hair back.

Leo slid into their room, throwing on jeans and a nice-ish shirt.

"Thank you for being so understanding," Maella mumbled, hugging him tightly, standing on her tiptoes. He lifted her off the ground slightly.

"Always, baby," he said, kissing her cheek.

They made their way to Maella's car. Leo retired his to the dump a month before. Ben cried. Leo pretended like he wasn't.

The new apartment was about 4 blocks from Ben's apartment with Adeline. The two boys saw each other only slightly less but it felt like so much more. Ben called almost every hour, telling Leo everything he did. Leo always laughed when he heard Adeline yelling in the background.

The only thing about the new apartment was that the old coffee shop was within sight. Leo owed everything to that shop and his life was better when he wasn't there but it still felt like a piece of himself was left behind there. The one that had someone behind him, ready to catch him always. The one that laughed constantly and didn't know what taxes were.

The whole place reminded him that things will always change which scared him a bit.

Maella took his hand in hers.

Ben always could tell when Leo was overthinking and Leo was so glad that Maella could do the same.

He pulled her hand up and kissed the knuckles.

"I love you," She said, pulling her hand away to run it through his hair.

"I love you, too."

After a while, Leo got used to things being different. He still had his friends. He had a hot ass girlfriend. Nothing had changed but at the same time, everything did.