XV

A jolt ran through Leo's body as his eyes shot open. Adam stood over him, a phone pressed to his ear.

"Wake the fuck up," Adam told him, holding the phone from his mouth to speak then putting it back.

Leo inhaled deeply, trying to fully wake up.

"-shit. Is she gonna be okay?..Good. And Trixi?...Fuck. Okay we're on our way....Okay," Adam spoke into the phone. Leo slipped his shoes on and rubbed his eyes, his brain foggy with sleep.

"What's going on?" He yawned. Adam moved quickly around the house, his breathing harsh.

"Trixi's mom had a heart attack," He muttered, breaking into a jog down the hall.

Leo's thoughts immediately sobered up in shock.

"Oh my god. Is she gonna be alright?" He asked, standing.

"Looks like it but it's still a possibility that she won't. Ben is with Trixi now and called me," Adam said, pulling on a backpack.

Leo's chest tightened in hurt that his best friend called Adam and not him but pushed the feeling away.

"Are they at the hospital?"

"Yeah. We gotta go. You should take your car. Ike ended up having to drive Ben."

Leo nodded, pulling on his jacket. He followed the other boy close behind, keys in hand.

It must have rained the night before because the ground sloshed under Leo's feet and a heavy mist fell over the street. Leo couldn't help thinking that it would make a good picture but shook it off, still trying to focus on Trixi.

The drive was short, Leo following Adam the whole way. He blared the radio, hating the silence.

They pulled up beside each other in the parking lot, Adam hurrying out of his car as soon as it stopped.

Leo hated hospitals. They smelled too clean and reminded him of being afraid of the Doctor as a kid. He needed a surgery to get his appendix out and it's scared him ever since.

His eyes landed on everyone inside. An older woman holding an oxygen tank close. A kid in his dad's arms, asleep. A boy holding his pregnant wife's hand. Leo scolded himself for assuming that they were married then noticed the rings on their hands and let himself off with a warning.

Adam nodded at him after talking to a woman at the desk and started down a longer hallway. Leo saw a girl sobbing run into the bathroom and his stomach dropped. Death always struck fear into Leo's chest, hating to face his own mortality. Watching someone having to face that same fear was even worse.

Leo ran a hand through his hair, his eyes landing on his best friend, back against the wall and head dropped.

"Ben," He called, speeding up his steps. The younger boy looked up, a look of relief washing over him.

"Oh thank god you're here," He sighed. Ben gave Leo a pained look before turning to Adam.

"How is she?" He asked. Ben rubbed his neck.

"Trixi is torn up. She's in the bathroom right now. Her mom is stable but it's still up in the air whether or not she'll be okay," Ben explained. Adam nodded his head, dropping his bag.

"What's in the bag?" He asked.

"Food and clothes. I grew up with both of them. She's practically my mom, too. I'm not leaving either of them."