XIII

Leo's knuckles tapped on the door just loud enough that the family on the other side would hear, then shoved both hands in his pockets. A permanent smile plastered itself on Leo's lips as he heard shuffling behind the door. The air in his lungs turned solid as the door opened.

"Hey," Maella greeted with a smile. She wore a black dress that perfectly accented each curve and made Leo forget every frustrating element of his life for just a few short moments.

"You look amazing," Leo said in a whisper. She chuckled lightly.

"So do you. Ready?" She asked him. Leo nodded, looking at every aspect of her face. They way her curly hair fell and her slightly raised eyebrow.

Leo jogged up to the passenger side, ahead of the shorter girl. He opened the door, blushing profusely.

"Why thank you," Maella sighed, stepping inside. Leo ducked his head and jogged to the other side.

"So where are we off to?" She asked as Leo started the car. He took a deep breath in.

"Just a little Italian restaurant I know. You'll love it." Leo ran a hand through his hair. Maella nodded brushing a lock of her own from her eyes.

"Do you mind?" She asked, a hand touching the radio. He shook his head frantically.

"Not at all. Go ahead," Leo shrugged. She maneuvered through the channels and ended on some pop song. Leo silently grimaced.

"There wasn't anything good," She said with a sigh, "I at least tolerate this song."

She smiled slightly as Leo did, too.

"So what music do you qualify as good?" He asked, looking over at her slightly. This sudden confidence surprised Leo to his very core.

"I can't describe it really. I like everything unless I don't like it." She laughed.

"That sounds stupid, I know," She added with a slight sigh.

"No, no it doesn't. Mine is like soft rock meets Brazilian pop meets deep rapping," Leo chuckled. Maella smiled widely.

"Okay then mine is like Indie pop meets electronica meets ska jazz." She looked at the ceiling of the car in thought. Leo swore he'd never heard a greater combination of music genres and nodded his head in appreciation.

Leo pulled into the extremely fancy restaurant and turned off the car, letting out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding. Maella took it upon herself to open her own door and step out, which slightly disappointed the ready-to-please Leo. They walked inside, only about 7 inches of distance between the two.

The hostess greeted the couple at the door with a wide smile.

"Hi, yeah I made a reservation for two the other day. Valente?" He asked her. She checked the computer and frowned slightly.

"Is there something wrong?" Maella asked. Leo felt his stomach drop significantly.

"Someone- not me -sat someone down there about half an hour ago. There's going to be a 20 minute wait. I'm abundantly sorry. I'll see what I can do." The hostess frowned and sped off towards the back. Leo ran a hand through his hair with a sigh, sitting down on one of the benches by the door. Maella sat next to him, completely removing the 7 inches that used to separate them.

"Spirit animal, go." She smiled slightly, bumping his shoulder with hers.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"You know. Like if you were an animal, which would you be?"

"I don't know." Leo shrugged, looking up slightly in thought, "A bear maybe?"

"Why?" Maella asked, biting her bottom lip, watching Leo carefully.

"They protect their family and I've been told that I'm sort of bear-ish. What with the hair and all," Leo explained with a grin. She smiled at him fondly.

"What about you?" He added. She sighed and pushed her mane of hair out of her eyes.

"I'd like to think I'm a bird. The tropical kind." She looked into the distance with longing.

"Okay what about favorite color? It's a lame question, I know but I'm actually quite interested." Maella smiled at the boy.

"Orange. Like sunset with a bit of ombré. What about you?" He answered. Her lips twitched slightly, thinking of a reply.

"Dusty pink. I also adore white's aesthetic." She nodded, accepting her answer. Leo's eyes widened.

"I do, too! White is such a beautiful color! Especially in photography," Leo agreed. Maella smirked.

"What do you know about photography, boy?"

It might have been the burst of confidence or maybe it was how her eyes looked like warm chocolate but Leo just stuttered out, "I dabble in it."

Maella smiled widely.

"Do you now? I don't want to intrude so I won't ask. But I would love to know more." She brushed back some of Leo's hair, resting her hand against him.

Leo felt every spark of her hand go through his shoulder and travel through his chest and power his heart. He took in a small breath sharply and averted his eyes behind her.

"Uh..So if I take pictures..What do you do?" Leo asked, his voice quiet.

"I paint. Mostly water-colors. Most of my time goes to the business so I don't get to do it often but when I do." Maella sighed in bliss, "it is my favorite feeling."

Leo watched her carefully.

"I'd love to see. I have no doubt in my mind that everything you make is beautiful."

Maella blushed and looked to the floor. His entire chest felt warm at the feeling that he had the power to make her at least slightly happy.

The two talked like old friends. Leo never took his eyes off her. Not once. She mentioned his staring but said it with a cheeky smile so he didn't stop. He loved that she wasn't wearing 3 tons of makeup and he could he slight imperfections on her cheeks. They didn't bother him in the slightest but he loved that she was real.

The hostess announced their table and they sat down, laughing about something Leo had mentioned.

"So Ben is from London?" She clarified, taking a sip of the wine she'd been given. He nodded.

"He grew up in Kingston Upon Thames. Little cultured bitch," Leo muttered. Maella giggled

"So you and Ben tease each other I assume?"

"Always." Leo nodded, his eyes closed.

"I wish I had a friend like that." Maella sighed.

"Why don't you?"

"I just don't have the time." She shrugged.

"Well here's to cultured bitches and friendless beauties," Leo smiled, raising his glass.

Maella tapped hers against his with a quiet, "Cheers."

1100 words