12. Return of the Monster

Val had gotten used to being a leader. It had been a month and a half since Atomic left, along with the Fabulous Four.  A few Killjoys had given up on the idea that she would ever return, and gave their loyalty to their new rebel leader. It seemed that the only few people in the Zones who believed that the five would return were Atomic's childhood friends and Missile. Even Gear had begun to lose hope.

This made Val very uneasy.

Week two of Maya living with the white-haired man had come around, and there was no sign of Lola. Maya, of course, still waited on the front porch every day. The Killjoys in the Nest had grown very accustomed to the little blond girl, and gave her a wide smile and a wave when they passed her by. Maya did enjoy the positive atmosphere of the young outlaws, but she missed her pink alien guardian.

Vamos and Vaya were worried for their old friend. Val had become too soft. He didn't come to parties anymore, and rarely left his home.

"I'm tellin' ya! It's not healthy for the poor guy!" Vamos ranted to their sibling, their hand propped under their sharp chin.

"We gotta do something. Getting him back to normal can't be too rough." Vaya plotted, thinking of ways to put the life back into Val.

"Let's go complain until he does something." Vamos put on a sly grin before jogging towards Val's house. They didn't even bother knocking on the broken screen door, and didn't care to acknowledge Maya sitting on the steps.

"Val! Val Velocity! Get your fine ass out here!" Vaya cried out. The twins heard an agitated groan as a very ragged-looking Val swung his bedroom door open. He shuffled down the narrow hallway in his bare feet, his white hair a matted mess.

"Look at you! You're fucking depressed! This ain't right!" Vamos explained, their narrow black eyes darting up and down the man.

"What do you two want?" Val scowled, scratching his stubbly chin.

The twins exchanged understanding glances with each other, before putting on their show.

"Where did the old Val go? You used to not give a flying fuck about anything! Now you have a child to take care of..." Vamos explained.

"...and a broken heart." Vaya pouted, crossing their arms. Val rolled his eyes, his hands on his hips.

"Take a seat." The blue-haired twin sat Val down on the tattered couch. The two sat down on either side of him, trapping him.

"We need the old Val. Nobody respects you anymore. Did you know that people are making jokes about you?" Vaya informed him, their voice reassuring an innocent.

"Killjoys used to fear you. You wanted to keep order, remember? You can't do that if they don't flinch every damn time you come around. Please, for everyone's sake, come back."

Val was silent. He was taking everything that the twins were saying very carefully. They were right. He had become weak. This is not who he wanted to be.

"I mean, taking care of Maya has been tiring me out, and Atomic really shouldn't of left like that..." Val pondered aloud. Vamos slapped his back enthusiastically, grinning wildly.

"That's our boy! You don't need to look after anyone but yourself. You're Val fucking Velocity! The ultra V!" Vaya encouraged, thrilled to see that the man was coming to his senses. Something went off in Val's brain. It was the smallest click, almost as if something hat turned off. Rational emotions? Empathy? Whatever it was, it made his lips curl up into the smallest of smirks.

"Let's fuck some shit up, shall we?" He raised his head to face his two friends, his eyes gleaming with a long-lost enthusiasm.

"Fucking finally!" Vamos cheered, shooting up from the couch.

"Let's get out of here." Vaya skipped towards the front door. Val quickly threw on his boots and ran his thin fingers through his hair in hopes of fixing it. The three Killjoys stormed out of the house, confusing the ever loving hell out of Maya.

"Where are you going?" She looked up at Val curiously, tilting her head. Val didn't even bother to look back down.

"Go to Gear's place. We're going out." He ordered before hurrying away, fixing his white jacket collar. Maya's eyes widened in terror. She saw everything that was going on in his brain.

'Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no oh no.'

It was like he never knew Atomic at all.