10. Lifetime

Maya was sad.

Of course, everyone in the Nest was super kind to her, and tried to cheer her up, but she was distraught.

It had been two weeks, and Lola had yet to return. She missed her fuzzy friend so much, it hurt her heart.

Val was trying his best to bring the little girl out of her depression. He even went to the lengths of making her pancakes (as we all know how hard it is to get buttermilk and eggs in this waistland). He didn't know how to deal with sad children. It was like looking after a puppy with a broken leg. It just brought his mood down.

What else was he supposed to do? This Lola creature had to come back at some point. It wouldn't just abandon the little girl.

"Hey, kid?" Val knocked softly on the door to his own bedroom, which Maya had guilted him into giving it up.

"Mhmmm..." She mumbled sleepily.

"I'm going out on patrol, you wanna come?" He asked tentatively.

"Mmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmm..." Maya responded. Val let out a deep sigh, creaking open the door.

The little blonde girl had made a cocoon of Val's white duvet, nothing but a strand of her sunshine hair and the tip of her nose sticking out.

"Are you alive?" Val crossed his arms. Maya responded with a load groan, burying deeper under the covers.

"I'll take that as a no." Val began to back out of the room, slowly closing the door.

"Wait." Maya mumbled, her head popping out of the blanket.

"I wanna ride the motor cycle." She yawned. Val cracked a proud smile.

"Atta girl."

Maya hoped that maybe today was the day that Lola would come back. Maybe she'd find the creature while she was out on patrol! Oh, Lola would be so happy to see her. They'd thank Val and all the other Killjoys for taking care of Maya, and then they'd take the little girl home.

Sadly, as Val drove with the girl out into the desert, there was nothing. She removed the tiny black helmet from her messy hair, analyzing the desert carefully. Maya let out  sigh of disappointment, realizing that her guardian had yet to return.

Maybe tomorrow.

---

      Party and I made it back to the safe part of town in one piece, only to find everyone pretty much asleep. The sun was rising over the city, and the only people still out in the streets were the die-hard drunks from the festivities last night.

"Damn, we missed all the fun." I teased, elbowing Party's arm.

"Well, we certainly weren't bored." The raven haired man responded, grabbing onto my hand. We made our way into Amsterdam's house. Jet, Kobra and Ghoul had passed out in the living room, glass bottles littering the floor. Amsterdam, Linnea and Eleanor must have been asleep upstairs, but the guest bedroom was completely empty.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Party turned to me, a playful grin on his face.

"I dunno, what are you thinking about?" I responded cockily, letting go of his hand.

"I'm thinking that I'm not gonna be able to sleep, and you're probably not tired either..."

"And?" I tilted my head.

"...and the bedroom is vacant..."

"Your point?"

"...and we've never..."