5. Newcomers

Detroit was the emptiest I had ever seen it. With a former population of hundreds of thousands, only a select few remained. Buildings had crumbled to ash, and the roads were cracked and invaded by weeds. The tour bus drove through the demolished city, and that was how I got my first look into my old life.

"The fires took down a lot, but we've managed to survive." Amsterdam opened the fridge, pulling out a yogurt cup.

"It's extraordinary." I gasped, my eyes wide.

"I didn't think that there would actually be an entire city." Kobra gawked, staring out of the window.

"End of the line, kiddos. I can't drive any further." Murdock pulled the breaks on the bus.

"Thanks bud." Ricki slapped the driver's back as he climbed down the steps of the vehicle.

"Yeah, until next time." He responded gruffly, pulling his black cap over his head.

"You ready?" Party strung his fingers into mine.

"I guess." I nodded shakily, letting him lead me out of the bus.

"Wow, what a city." Ghoul put his hands on his hips, observing the buildings that towered over us.

"I've been to Detroit once, back when I had a life." Kobra commented.

"C'mon, I'll show you to the base." Amsterdam motioned for us to follow. I stepped over the ruble, careful to make sure not to get dust on my new, brand name, state of the art black sneakers (I had fallen in love with them). We walked for another fifteen minutes, taking in the fallen city.

A few change of directions later, we arrived to a long stretch of houses, each one very run down and invaded by plants.

"You live in this dump? Why not in the city center?" Ghoul questioned. Brandy let out a tiny cough, and Ricki just stared at the ground awkwardly.

"Everything will make sense in good time." Said Amsterdam, simply shrugging his shoulders. 

"Fine, be like that." Ghoul huffed, continuing our trek down the long street.

The houses were rather big, and I remembered it as the wealthy area of Detroit. This area was one that I never really came through, as I always felt envious of its higher class population. I had to remind myself that I was lucky not to be living on the streets like so many others. We stopped in front of the biggest house on the block, and I quickly took notice that there weren't any people around.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Sleeping." Ricki responded.

"But, it's two in the afternoon at least." Party retorted.

"Yeah, we know." Brandy smirked, walking up the cement stairs. She held the door for the rest of us, putting a finger to her lips to let us know that we should be quiet.

"We share this house with Eleanor and Linnea, but they're asleep upstairs." Ricki whispered.

"No, we're not!" A youthful voice called from the second floor. The rapid footsteps of a child hurried down the wooden steps, revealing a young girl. She was around eleven or twelve, and her long blonde hair was done up in a tight pony tail.

"Linnea, why aren't you in bed?"  Amsterdam scolded the girl.

"Sorry, uncle Hammy. I was waiting for you to get back." She crossed her arms.

"Is Elle awake as well?" He asked, his brown eyes darting up the stairs.

"Nah. She tried to stay awake, but she's too much of a pussy." Linnea snickered.