3. The Restless Desert

(Y'all better be lucky that I've pre-written some chapters or else I wouldn't be updating.) 

    It took another two full days on the road to finally reach the big city. Over the time on the bus, we planned out our new alias. Mike Milligram was a marine before the fires happened. He spent two years studying at Stanford University, and he enjoys books, the smell of smoke, music and his girlfriend. I had to fit the part of a Veteran's girlfriend. The name stayed, but I had to make myself sound older, and more mature.

 I was a musician, and loved classical music. I was supposed to be a published author, but I couldn't bear to keep writing after my beloved boyfriend went to war. I studied music history at St. Martin's College in London before moving to the United States.

James Milligram, Kobra's fake personality, was supposedly very skilled in the art of Kung Fu. We tried to talk him out of using that idea, but he insisted. To make him and Party look related again, he was forced to dye his blonde hair black as well. 

Andrew Smith, played by Ghoul, was an ex agent for the New York police force. He lost his wife and children in the fires. Despite me telling him that that was a bit of a depressing detail, he just thought that it would add a bit more character to agent Smith.

Jet came up with the idea of David Clark, my older brother. He was a war doctor, alongside his long time best friend, Mike. We decided to not dye his hair, because then we'd all have black hair, and that would be a bit strange.

I wasn't used to using Freia as my name anymore, and it made me feel very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it had to be done. We rehearsed calling each other by our new titles for the remainder of the ride to Detroit.

"Atom- I mean Freia, can you pass me the box of Frosted Flakes?" Ghoul asked, cringing as he slipped up his act.

"Sure, Andrew." I forced a bitter smile.

"Thanks, Freia." He poured the cereal into a blue ceramic bowl.

"Hey, James. Where's the orange juice?" I asked the tall man who was sitting at the pull out table.

"Not sure, Freia. Ask Mike."

I had already become sick of hearing my damn name.

"Are you sure this is necessary?" I complained to Amsterdam.

"'Fraid so." He shrugged, a cup of coffee wrapped in his hands.

"This is such bullshit." Party groaned pitifully.

"You know what is bullshit? That entire outfit. It doesn't suit you." Brandy pointed at Party's jacket.

"How did we not think of that? I'm such an idiot!" Ricki exclaimed, running into the back closet of the bus.

"Why do you just have everything you need to change your identity on a fucking tour bus?  Is this a common occurrence?" I questioned.

"We used to do stuff like this all the time a few years back." Brandy explained, rushing to help her friend pull out piles of new clothes. The two walked back out into the main room, throwing a heap of clean shirts and pants and other things onto the table.

"Knock yourselves out." Ricki motioned to the new clothes. They were nothing like I was used to wearing. They were nice, but didn't have the same fiery spunk of my regular clothes. They looked much older.

"I mean, they're not bad." Ghoul reasoned, holding up a plain black t-shirt. I found a knee-length red dress with a simple black belt around the waist. 

"This is cute." I held the dress up to my body.

"Ooooh I have the perfect jacket for that." Ricki rummaged through the pile. To be completely honest, deciding on a new outfit was kind of amusing.