Chapter One: Malfunction

2 YEARS LATER

Twenty-year-old Eto now works alongside Professor Dan at the Neo Institute Science Corp. 

"So Eto, I was wondering if I could ask you something." Dan asks as he enters Eto's living quarters. 

"Oh hey, whats up Dan?" Eto asks while styling his hair in his bedroom mirror.

"Eto, we are in the process of finishing our time gate machine. It allows us to get either to the past or into the near future, I was wondering if you would like to test it?" Dan asks.

"Yeah sure thing. Lemme re-situate my deck and let me grab my blazer." Eto grabs his deck and puts it in his pocket with his cell phone. He walks across his room and picks up a black blazer from the back of his desk chair and puts it on. 

"We will be waiting up top for you Eto. Testing will occur in about ten minutes or so." Dan says.

"No problem." Eto replies as Dan exits the door. 

Eto pulls out his new deck of cards. He looks over to his desk where he has his old 'Starlight' deck that he used to duel with and then looks down at his new deck of cards. 

"Lets do this!"

Eto takes the elevator to the third level and once he exits the elevator, Dan and an abundance of researchers stand around this giant metal circle and a bunch of consoles around it.

"Ah, Eto you're here!" Dan says excitedly.

"Wouldn't miss it." Eto says.

"Come this way lad. We're going to be firing up the booting up software, be ready to jump." One of the researchers say.

Eto slowly approaches the menacing machine, "So Dan, how will I come home exactly?" Eto asks.

"As you can see Eto, I will be equipping to your wrist a special watch where once you end up in the future, only five years from now you can come back immediately, though this portal." Dan says.

"Booting up software is complete, lets fire it up!" A lab technician says.

"Here." Dan slides the watch on his wrist.

"So, now what?" Eto asks.

"Watch this!" Another lab technician presses a button and a purple light fills the metal circle.

"It's set up. Its time Eto." Dan says.

Eto approaches up to the light and sticks one hand though it.

"Uh, oh no!" A lab nerd squeals. 

"What!?" Dan asks.

"Sir, the protocol is failing!"

"Eto, step away!" Dan says.

The light starts slowly pulling Eto into it.

"ETO!" Dan screams.

"Dan! What the hell is going on!?!" Eto yells.

"Its failing, the software is failing and wont respond, the portal is short-circuiting!" Dan says.

"Dan, Im sorry!" Eto disappears into the purple light and then the purple light fades from the machine.

"No!" Dan throws his lab notes and notebooks.

150 YEARS AGO - DOMINO CITY

Eto wakes up in a big green dumpster in the light of an alley way. A short kid peeks into the trash can, with his green bandanna.

"Sir?" The kid whispers.

Eto groans while moving his arms in trash.

"Sir are you OK?" the kid asks.

"Uh, yeah. Where am I?" Eto asks.

"You're in Domino City! The home of Kaiba Corporation and the new era of games, called dueling!"

"I've gone back in time." Eto pulls himself out of the trash can.

"You've got a fancy jacket sir." the kid says.

"Thanks, hey kid why dont you take this card." Eto pulls out a monster card from his pocket and hands it to the kid. 

"Time Lamp?" The kid says in awe.

"Yep, a quality monster card. Add it to your collection kid, but I gotta go." Eto says.

As Eto runs away from the alley the kid shouts, "Thank you sir! Ill remember you, Ill keep this card forever!" 

Eto runs out of the alley and ends up next to the "Game Corner" shop. 

"A blue store, maybe someone can give me a better idea of whats going on." Eto whispers to himself.

Eto enters the game shop and sees an old man with gray hair, pretty short and tan behind a glass showcase counter. 

"Yugi, we have a customer!" The old man says.

"Uh, hello there. My name is Eto and can I ask where I am?" He asks.

A small teenager with a black spiked haircut and yellow hair comes running down some stairs with a golden necklace with a pyramid on it. 

"Hey grandpa, whats going on?" Yugi asks.

"Yugi, this young man wants to know where he is, he might be lost and my directions aren't as good as they used to be." Mr. Moto says.

"Ok, nice to meet you sir, Im Yugi Moto. Who are you?" Yugi says.

"Im Eto. And Im not from around here. Could you help me maybe find a calendar perhaps?" He asks.

"Uh I know that they sell calendars downtown by the Kaiba Corp building, but hey Eto. Do you duel?" Yugi asks.

"Yeah I do." Eto replies.

"I know someone you might like to duel, that's if you're really good. Im the only person that's beaten him in a duel before." Yugi says.

"Who's that?" Eto asks.

"His name is Seto Kaiba."