Chapter Fifteen

It was the Sunday before Christmas, so Cassian and I invited James' family and Izaak to dine with us. We all were at the table, said grace, and began to eat when James mother asked, "How are you doing since your father died? James told me you were there the longest, you poor girl." I explained, "Things were tough, but a wise country-fellow once told me to take things one step forward at a time. So James, you never told me that you had such well behaved children!" James chuckled and looked down at his daughter and sons. James' wife's name is Jody, and she is a woman from this town. Together they have lived here for a few months, but they met and married at the coast. Their children are Patrick, Terrence, and Violet. "They are just shy, but you watch! They will drive you crazy when they are ready." I leaned to Violet, who sat beside me and proposed, "Well despite what he says I think you guys are excellent. How about you guys call me Aunty Gwyn? I don't have any of my own to spoil yet, so you guys are perfect." Violet's eyes sparkled as she nodded her sweet head.

After dinner, we all left to the parlor, but I cornered James for a moment. "In the next few months I want to find my birth mother, and I came to you because my father left me a letter saying that her name is Amaimai. I would greatly admire you for your help with this." Once I was seated, James declared, "Mom, this is Mistress Gwyneira Highton, Miss Gwyneira, this is my mother, Amaimai." My attention was brought to the little woman with greying black hair as I mentally asked myself how it could be her. "James, son, what are you doing? I know Gwyn." I oddly stared at her with a longing tugging at my strings. "I'm sorry, I am looking for my birth mother. All I know about her is that her name is Amaimai and she gave me crazy hair and vibrant eyes." James rolled his eyes and predetermined, "There's no way my boss could be my long lost sister." Amaimai ignored her son's comment and her eyes watered. "You are Jefferson's girl, aren't you? He lied to me and he took her away from me, but he didn't take his son- that racist bastard." The room grew somber- even the children stopped their merriment. "If I had known the truth I would've come for you sooner. Father always said I was special, but I didn't learn why until he died." Amaimai observed my face and traced my nose and lips. "You are my child...I know that Highton nose and Ethiopian lip from anywhere. Frealai Enku, bergt eignh! James, she is Frealai Enku! Come here into my arms child!" I ran into her and cried happy tears into her equally insane hair. She held my face and kissed random places on my cheeks and forehead with joy.  James studied my face and he smirked. "Some life we have had so far huh? You are always one step behind but a few social classes more important. I suppose that's why Dad chose you and not me." "Well, you are my big brother I suppose, so you have to be ahead where I'm not. I guess this means I really am your kids aunt." Violet hopped to the front of my skirt and hugged me. "Dad, you always wanted a brother or sister and God gave you one. She lost a parent too."

The night eventually became more cheerful. Soon after dessert, I gave a Christmas gift to each of my new family. For James, a pair of new black boots and a shiny lunch pail; Jody, a set of silky scarves and mittens; Patrick and Terence, a set of toy soldiers and candy; Violet, a new coat and candy; Amaimai, the necklace from the letter and new pots for cooking. They were all very pleased with their gifts, which made my heart light. Then as they left, I received hugs from each. "I know you may still have your white mom, but I want to be in your life too. I want to know you, my child. Merry Christmas," Amaimai pronounced after one last hug. Izaak came behind me with warm hands that he rested on my hips. "How are you feeling, Rachela?" I laid my hands on top of his and yawned. "All of this joy and finally meeting my family has made me tired. I am going to bed, so I hope you don't have an issue with being company for Cassian."  Outside was chill, but there wasn't snow yet, and I figured it wouldn't be there when I woke up the next morning. Izaak followed me to the stairs, and before I almost forgot, I- for a change- tipped his face up to mine and mused, "So I need to remember that at the sixth step is the perfect height for me." By such a simple act I entered, and the forbidden emotion returned once more as his arms held me nigh. I brushed my hand along his jaw then into his hair and tore myself from him. Hesitating and leaning on the edge, I returned to his pine scent once more, but only for a moment because I couldn't allow myself to submit to him. "Merry Christmas and goodnight, Izaak." He tugged at his lip as I returned focus to the stairs, and shut the door behind me once I found my room.