Chapter Eleven

The next morning was busy for me. I normally was up before the sun, so the early rise was no bother as I got dressed and braided my hair. I packed my lunch pail with bread, cheese, and vegetables, and filled my thermos with tea before attaching both to Dust's saddle and heading out of the barn. Cassian told me last night that he was supposed to meet Izaak at my parent's house from where they would then ride to the lake. Very few people were awake and on the streets at this hour, which made the path easier to travel. I arrived at the meet where Izaak and his Belgian horse waited patiently. "My boss sends his apologies and wanted me to tell you that he was under the weather, but he really just wanted to sleep in today after the past few weeks have been busy. I hope you don't mind me coming instead." Izaak's eyes glowed in the presence of his lantern and his breath brought about a moment of fog. "Tak, I'm glad you didn't lie for him. Follow me closely; I have found that the wolves have become a little more bold since August." Dust and I rode side by- well, slightly smaller- side with him and his horse as the dawn began to peak. "Have you ever fished before, Rachela? It's fine if you don't and better if you want to learn." "My father had always been careful to set up boundaries of what a man does and a woman shouldn't do, but I have always been curious. So where do we begin?"

The sun was peaking through the trees when we got to the lake's edge. The lake itself was pretty large and one would definitely need a boat to get a across. We fastened our horses' tow lines to separate trees and grabbed our gear. Sure enough, there was a handcrafted boat sitting at the edge of a sturdy dock. "When I lived with my parents, my Ojciec and I would build a dock at every new lake we went to, so to make a dock here was very nostalgic for me. Now, I was raised with pole fishing, but through my travels up north, I met a tribe of Indians. I stayed with them for weeks. I taught them to pole fish, and they taught me to fish with handmade nets. So for the sake of not wasting a good morning, let's take a ride on the boat." He stepped down into the boat first while barely disrupting the water, but I wasn't very confident that I could do the same without falling. As I reached to take a step down into the boat, I realized that I was far too short and slid down into the open space. Izaak, thankfully, didn't notice and untied the boat's restraints.

The wind was pleasantly cool as Izaak rowed us into the middle of the lake. I took off the gloves and let my fingers graze my blue reflection. Soon, Izaak stopped rowing and threw an anchor overboard. Then he gave me a fishing pole as he sat across. "Now, I've already added bait to your hook, so please pay attention as I show you the technique." Izaak talked about how it's important to know where the wind is going and why you don't cast your line out in the grassier areas. After all the basics and showing me how he cast his line, he watched me as I cast my own. To his amusement and my disappointment, the line didn't go more than five feet from the boat. I reeled in the line and asked what I did wrong. "It's not about what you did wrong, because you did great for your first time, but remember, don't overthink the process: it's all in the wrist." I tried a few more times and got the line out farther than the last, but not as far as his.  I became frustrated with myself and was going to cast the line one more time when Izaak put his hand over mine and we cast the line together, and the line reached nearly as far as his first line.

We waited in the warming day for a bite and re-cast our lines a few times. Other than the earlier frustration, I was finally at peace and comfortable with being out on the water. "Izaak, tell me about your family. Do you have any siblings or aunts and uncles? I don't know, I just feel like you say so little about them, but I know you miss them." Izaak sat up from his cozy position in the sun against the edge of the boat. "I have a Ojciec (father), Mama, and a Siostra (sister), as well as Dziadkowie (grandparents), a Ciocia (aunt), and a Wujek (uncle). They live together in one house at the coast and write me everyday. They really want to visit Ludovica, but I told them that now really isn't a good time." "Why did you say that? Ludovica is very beautiful this time of year." I shifted the pole to my other hand so I could take a drink from my thermos. "My family is very odd because of our culture. They generally tend to be overbearing and a little too happy for here." "Well that's quite an excuse- not really a reason for why they should stay away. Ludovica is a great place for them to visit." "Not when their reason for visiting is not to see me or how I'm doing, but to meet you." He re-baited and cast his line before sitting down again. "I sent a letter to them in July telling them that I met you and that I think you are a good person. After that letter they sent more asking about Moja ładna dziewczyna, meaning: my pretty girlfriend. In their last letter, they wanted to visit, but I told them that now is not good time because your father passed away." I felt responsible and guilty that Izaak didn't want his family here because of my grief, but before I could say anything, the pole pushed me forward. A fish had taken the bite! I began to reel in the line the best that I could, but the sucker at the other end was tough. My heart was pounding and the heat on my back was immense as I kept reeling and reeling. Izaak offered to help, but I failed to listen as the line drew closer and closer until the line was near the boat. I pulled the line with both hands up the edge of the boat, and Izaak used a net to get the fish on board. I squealed in disbelief when I saw the fish I just caught. Izaak reeled his empty line in and rowed us back to the shore. Lifting the net with both hands, I carried it to the dry dock and set it down. "Congratulations on catching your first fish! Now, the important thing is that you decide: would you like to release your fish back out into the wild or would you like to cook it?"

I thought for hardly a moment when I said to cook, and I would soon regret it. I started the fire, but it wouldn't be able to mask the horrid smell that came from Izaak gutting the fish. Instead of throwing out the guts, he put them in a small barrel for safekeeping. After he washed the fish, he salted it and stuffed cheese in the cut, rolled the fish, and then stuck it inside a tin can on the fire. "How did you learn to do all that?" Izaak checked on the fish a few times as he spoke. Apparently his father and uncle own a fishing company. They made Izaak their apprentice and taught them all that they knew, but his mother taught him to cook it in various ways before he left home. Izaak took two plates out from his saddle bag as well as two cups and set them beside me. He then poured the juice from the tin into the two cups and cut the fish in pieces before setting a few pieces on each plate. From my lunch pail I gave each plate bread, carrots, apples, and peas. Izaak smiled and mused, "I suppose that you were prepared for a feast." "How could I forget our first meal together in town square? An appetite like that is hard to forget and easier to satisfy. Shall we say grace?" After grace, I started the meal with the fish first, and it was so soft as it melted in my mouth with the cheese. I then decided that I would finish all of the other items on my plate before the fish and broth in my cup. It was mere moments before I hastily finished my plate and began to drink the broth. "What cheese did you use? It is too good to be just from a cow!" Izaak put some twigs on the fire and replied, "Because it isn't: the milk for the cheese came from goats. I prefer it because the cheese is softer and has a better flavor. And you...," he trailed as he took his handkerchief from his pocket, "are nearly as messy as I am when we eat" He crouched to my level on the grassy slope and tipped my chin up to wipe my face. I smirked and declared, "I was presented with food, you can't expect every lady to not be messy if the food is good." He chuckled and gently poked my nose. "A real lady acts like herself no matter who is watching, so I admire that you eat the way you do." I could feel my cheeks become red as he walked to the horses and fed them. 

I took off my stockings and shoes and fastened the sides of the skirt to my waistband before going to wash the dishes in the lake. The cooling sensation of water on my bare feet and ankles was rewarding compared to the hot sun and the fire from lunch. As I was washing, I looked out at the water to see something swimming my way, but as it slowly grew closer, I realized it was not good company. I shrieked and screamed as I ran to my horse. While I was running, I heard a slight hissing sound from behind, and I tripped over my shoes as panic began to settle in. But to my comfort came Izaak as he pulled me into his arms and let me sob. I dried my eyes and looked at the water behind to see that a very long snake was on land and impaled by an arrow. I shuddered at the sight, and though I didn't know if the snake was poisonous or truly coming after me, I was scared that I was so close to being attacked. "Hey, Rachela, look at me. Don't be afraid, look at me." I was still panicking when I looked into his face. Izaak held my hand and gently caressed my face as he spoke. "Rachela, you are safe now. The snake is dead, I checked before I came to you. You are okay now, and you don't need to be afraid. I'm right here, so you will be alright." I nodded and fell back into his chest. He kissed my head and apologized over and over. I finally stood up, but my left ankle really hurt from the fall. I winced in pain, but I could still walk. "Do you want to leave?" I mustered up a nervous smile as I got on the dock. "No, I want to get back to fishing." And that's what we did.