49

Seventeen years later

"Your majesty."

I glanced up from the book that I was occupied with. One of the palace guards had the throne room door partially cracked open. I was lounging on the throne very un lady like and I attempted to fix my dress and before I cleared my throat. "Come in!" I called out.

The soldier walked in cautiously, a smile adorning his lips as he searched around the room. Making sure no one was in here. No doubt looking for Edwin. He bowed before pounding his scepter on the floor. "Your majesty Lord Calfont is here."

"Let him in."

Calfont strolled in, sword in hand. He seemed exhausted. "What is it, William?"

"We are back from the hunt...finally," he exhaled as he wiped sweat from his brow.

I was glad of it...I have been worried sick for him and Edwin for the past few days. How could they leave to go hunting a few days before such an important event?! "Also some guests are at the main gates."

A smile graced my lips as I thought about our guests. We had invited many kingdoms. The same ones that my father invited when he had his coronation. I was excited to see some of my old friends and the new ones I had made from ruling my kingdom. "Good...please find Edwin for me."

"Of course," he said as he began to rub the back  of his head. I knew there was something that he had to say. Something bothering him when he made that gesture. He was like a brother to me. He knew everything about me, and I about him. Over last few years he has been nothing but important to me, and I valued his friendship more than life itself.

"What is it, William?" I questioned, wondering if he had finally found a woman and was nervous to tell me. I do hope he did. He was the sweetest man that I have ever known.

He bowed, before taking a few steps towards the throne. "Pardon me if I am...out of line.." A smile played on my lips...he always said these things before he was completely out of line. "But...what are your plans after relinquishing your throne?"

I gave him a suspicious look. Did he ask because he did not feel Edwin was ready? I think this often, but no one is ever ready to rule..."Why do you ask, William? I need the truth," I warned him as he nodded his head slowly.

"Nothing...it is just...Edwin has an advisor in mind already so I will not be his advisor...I will be out of the job too," he chuckled as I laughed right along with him. Edwin thought Calfont was only good for me, he could not possibly have such a man guiding him. Of course he picked the more violent picks for an advisor. Edwin had a lot of things to learn... He cleared his throat, "I suppose what I am asking is if...I have a large estate. Not as large as the castle but...nevertheless you could stay there. We could..." he trailed off, his eyes meeting my own.

Oh no...it is happening, again. This was not the first time that William wanted me. He was mind about it and not pushy at all and I had not realized until Edwin had made it known to me a few years ago. I quickly shit down any ideas of entertaining him...yet he still asked. I stood, closing our distance quickly. I grabbed his hand softly, "William, we could never. My heart will never beat for lust nor love. It only beats for Edwin, that will always be the case."

He pressed his lips together tightly, his hand going to caress my cheek. "You deserve real love, Esmeralda. I can give that to you."

I pulled his hand away from my face. He did not understand. I am forever ruined. "If I agreed to this...William what would you gain? You would love me and I could give you nothing in return. You are my closest friend, I could never ruin our relationship like that." He had to understand. He understood. The many nights that he stayed in my room listening to my woes. He knew. He always knew.