Seventeen

[Mark]

"Are... are you ok?" Jack asked, shutting the door to our house. I didn't say a word, seeing as though even I didn't know anymore. I couldn't tell if I was ok or not. A minute of silence went by, but I refused to say a word.

"I need you to sleep so we can be well rested to continue." Jack cooed, hugging me tight from behind. I shook him off my body, beginning to cry. I heard a large sigh come from Jack, as he placed a warm blanket on me while I adjusted myself on the couch. He smiled, wiping the tears from my eyes.

"You know, even through all of this... every time I look at you, I fall in love with you even more." Jack whispered, lifting the blanket up as he snuggled up next to me.
"I... it's so hard, Sean."
"I know it is. But you just need to get through it."
"How can you do this?" I asked, not being able to help looking directly into his kind, sky-blue eyes.
"What do you mean?"
"Even when things have gotten hard, even when our chances of finding Chase seem bleak, it seems like... it's like you're unstoppable. Meanwhile I get emotional after every obstacle." I placed my head onto his chest, our legs intertwined.
"Mark, you need to stop being so emotional." He boldly ordered, as he stroked my forehead with his smooth hands.
"How can you even say that?" I questioned.

"Mark, if you keep faltering, you're going to crack when real pressure comes. No one wants to be in this situation, but you can't give up or get upset just because life isn't fair. You need to keep a level head in order to save our son. That's simply what needs to happen."

I gave him a nod, a nod that said that I was going to try my best to be stronger.
"I haven't said 'I love you' in the longest time." I pointed out. Jack smiled, and wrapped his arms around me.
"I... I love you Jack." I smiled a bit. Sean stole my breath with a passionate kiss, a kiss that appeared to relieve me of all my worries, just for the moment. Almost immediately after that, I felt myself fall asleep.

*****

"Mark, you need to come outside. NOW!" Jack yelled from the door. I wiped my eyes, and arose from the couch, wondering what Sean had woken me up to. I slowly walked towards him, but he had hurried me along by dragging me by my arm.
"What... the... fuck?" I gasped, my heart sinking. "When did this happen?"
"Last night probably. He must've had one of his goons to place it here."
"Dear god, what even happened?" I muttered, as I examined Elena's decapitated head placed right on our doorstep.

"She must've said too much. Or he just didn't want her to cause anymore trouble. Either way, it happened."
"We need to call the police. We need more men on this case." I barked, pulling out my phone. Jack appeared to pull something out of her mouth, as I began to call the cops.
"Wait!" Sean yelled, grabbing my phone and slamming it onto the pavement. My phone shattered into pieces, filling me with both rage and confusion.
"What the fuck, Sean?"
"Read this." Jack demanded, nearly shoving the paper into my face.

Say a word to anyone else, and you shall be punished. Remember, I'm watching.

"God dammit, does this ever end?" I took her head inside, not knowing what to do with it. I felt myself get sick, but I couldn't bring myself to vomit.
"So how do we go about this?" Sean asked, covering up Maria's head with an old blanket we never used.
"We keep going. We're bound to get to the end of all these tasks, right?" I looked at the address again, sipping on some of the coffee Jack had made.

For some reason though, he didn't respond. He just looked at me.
"Right?"
"I don't know, Mark." Sean muttered, almost sounding afraid of what he had said.
"What do you mean? We have to be close! We have to be!"
"What if we're wrong? What if he is just leading us on. Who knows, maybe Chase is already de-"
"Don't even say it." I ordered, nearly yelling at him.
"Mark, we can't pretend like it's not a possibility." He pleaded. "If he is already gone, we need to be ready for that.
"How could you even SAY that? I can't believe you!"
"See, you're getting too emotional again. You need to-"
"No. You don't know what I need. You don't know me at all."

I covered my mouth, not believing what I had blurted out. I tried to muster up an apology, but no words would come out. I saw a single tear form and fall down his cheek, to which he quickly wiped off.
"We need to keep figure out where these notes are coming from. If we could trace the computer or something, we could-"
"That'll take ages. We would have to put in Day and night work, randomly guess as to where the guy is, and make sure he isn't following us or something."
"Well at least we could find a lead! I mean, come on Mark, we can't be stupidly going through challenge after challenge and have no clue where to find Chase. It's pointless!" He put his hand on my shoulder and lightly massaged it, but I shook it off out of frustration.
"I don't think it's pointless. If we get to the last challenge or something, we would finally be done!"
"There's no telling of how long he'll punish us time and time again. We need to stick to my plan."
"No. We keep doing what we've been doing."

*****

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed the book so far! Alright, so I'm gonna let you guys choose which method Mark and Jack go on! Whichever one gets the most votes will become a reality in the story!

How to vote:
1. Go to the comments
2. If you think Jack and Mark should keep going on the missions, comment "challenge"
3. If you think Jack and Mark should investigate the clues given by the killer, comment "clues"
4. If you like pizza, also type "pizza"