Chapter 15: It's gone

"Uncle Kelly!" Abigail screamed as she bounced down the stairs of their flat. Her face red with anger.

Jumping at the sound of the scream, Kelly spun from where he was peering into the fridge, slamming it shut. "Abigail. Stop shouting." Kelly groaned.

"Tell my brother to stop being such a first class twa-"

"Finish that word Abigail Kelly and you'll be kissing goodbye to the car." His eyes warning as he pointed towards the younger twin. Since Lucas wasn't able to drive she had been lucky to have sole use of the car, not that Lucas had cared, he had barely left his room.

With a groan, Abi stepped towards Kelly. Her voice quieter. "Just tell him, please."

"We've been through this, Abi." Kelly explained sadly. He, like many of the firefighters had tried to get through to the older Darden but he had refused to listen and remained in his room.

"Fine. I'm going to practice. I'll be an hour." She huffed and left the apartment without another word.

"And what was that?" Otis asked. The sound of the door slamming shut making him appear from his room, curious.

"That was Abi, pissed off." Shay uttered as she appeared from the hallway. Her hair disheveled and clothes inside out. "I just wish she wasn't shouting."

"Says the one with a hangover." Devon chuckled, playfully. Her hands snaking around Shay's waist making the two boys squirm. They really didn't like her.

Shay scoffed, turning to Kelly she offered. "I'll get ready and I'll go talk to him." Then off she went, Devon smacking her behind as she followed. That girl was trouble.

****
True to her word Shay had got dressed and made her way towards Luke's bedroom whilst Devon took it as an opportunity to get ready for herself.

As soon as she appeared in his room, she grimaced. His bed was unmade, books, dvds, games and clothes strewn everywhere. It wasn't unusual for a teenage boy's room to be like this but not after this long.

Guiding herself carefully over the covered floor, Shay dropped to Luke's bed. "Hey!" She beamed, enthusiastically.

"What?" Luke asked, miserably.

Shay sighed. "You know your sister is only trying to help." She pushed, lightly, pushing herself up.

Lucas shrugged, not caring. He had been really snappy lately and it was proving difficult to get through to him. His knee had yet to heel which meant that Basketball was impossible.

With a sigh, Shay bounced back onto the bed. "Why don't you get Nathan to come around? And maybe that Naomi girl?"

"Me and Naomi are on a break." Lucas declared, "As for Rhodes. He's replaced me." He added with a scoff.

That hadn't actually been true, the coach had insisted that a temporary replacement would be needed if they were going to continue their summer sessions but that's not how Lucas Darden saw it.

"Well let your sister in then? Let her help you. Let us help you." Shay suggested.

"This isn't something you can fix, Shay." The eldest Darden snapped. He was tired of everyone saying it was going to be okay, they just didn't understand. His basketball career was sure enough over. No one came back from knee injuries like this.

Shaking her head, she got up.

"We're going to shift, so I suggest you sort your act out whilst we're gone." Shay said, a little more harshly than she had intended. "Especially before Kelly gets back."

"Whatever." He scoffed.

****
Lucas had been in his room when a small figure bounced in quickly.

"Abi! What the hell!" He groaned, annoyed that he had just lost the game he was playing because of the interruption.

Abi had just returned from practice and she wanted to do something and if getting her brother out of the house helped, so be it.

"Up you get." She beamed. The smile not leaving her face and her arms stretched outright.

"What? No." Lucas shook his head. He wasn't in the mood for Abi's antics right now.

"Look. I really don't want to be stuck in the house all day with her, so.." Abi hummed, her eyes moving towards the direction of the kitchen where Devon was eating lunch.

"Well I'm fine just where I am." He scoffed, reaching for the control to start his game again.

Instead of arguing, Abi jumped off the bed and switched off the TV.

"You're coming out with me." She declared. "We haven't done anything - not just us -" she stared, but stopped and decided to tell her brother the truth. "Because." She started, "Uncle Kelly wants to fight for custody. And I'm not about to let you ruin that by causing him and Uncle Matt trouble."

"You really think-" Luke started.

"Mom blames him, you know?" Abi said, cutting him off again. Noticing the expression he wore, she continued. "Yeah, I know, I thought it was ridiculous until I said it out loud."

****

Abigail had taken Luke to a restaurant for lunch. They talked and laughed until they were blue in the face, but as it neared 4 o'clock they realised that they should start making their way home.

"We better get home. Come on, hop a long." Abi said, jumping up from the diner chair. Catching sight of her brother's unamused face, she grimaced. "Too much?"

"Too much." Luke nodded.

"Sorry." She said, sincerely.

****

In no time at all Abi pulled into the free parking space and just as quickly helped her brother from the passenger side.

It took longer than usual to reach the apartment but Abi hung back to help her big brother. She had been rummaging though her pockets to find the key when Luke's voice caught her attention.

"We closed the door, right?" He checked, his eyes darting between Abi and the open door.

Easing closer towards the door, the twins stayed together.

They eventually reached the apartment and were horror stricken by the sight before them. It was empty.

Abi gasped. "Wh-where is everything?"

"Devon?!" Luke called. He wasn't able to move upstairs and he didn't want Abi to go alone but they needed to go.

Sensing her brother's anticipation, Abi sighed shakily. "I'll go."

"I'll call Antonio-" Luke started, reaching for his cell.

"She's gone." Abi informed as she rushed down the stairs, tearfully. "Everything's gone!"

****