Chapter 10: Hidden Injuries

"Where are the guys?" Abigail asked as she made her way to where her car was parked. She had been staying with Matt for a few days but last night she had gone back to the apartment but when she arrived Shay and Kelly were practically ignoring each other.

"I don't know, but Principal Carter threatened to phone home if they skip another class this week" As they approached the parking lot as Abi let out a groan of annoyance as they saw the empty parking space.

****

Lucas and Abigail had arrived at the firehouse after 'practice' nearly two hours late and they were greeted with an extremely unhappy uncle that had not only the look of anger in his eyes but annoyance too.

"With me" Severide demanded as he stared Lucas down before Lucas could argue "Now".

'What was that?' Abi mouthed to Lucas who ignored her and walked through to the quarters with Kelly. Abi turned to the squad table with a questioning look, they didn't answer only shrugged and she walked to the common room with her gym bag.

"Want a snack?" Mills asked as the youngest twin as she walked into the common room.

"Sure"

"How was school?" Mills asked as the two walked to the kitchen area.

"Erm..crap" Abbi said as she placed herself on the kitchen counter, before receiving a scolding look from her other uncle.

"Language Abigail Darden" Casey frowned as he raised his eyebrows at his godchild.

"Sorry Uncle Matt" she apologized.

"Where's your partner in crime?" Matt asked as he looked around. Usually Brooke would jump at the chance of a free meal but she was no where to be seen.

"She wanted to know who's cooking before she came"

"Mills" The firefighters said in unison.

"Hey kid, how was school?" Clarke asked as he walked in the common room and went to sit on the counter next to Abigail. Ever since Clarke had started at 51 he had nothing but time for the twins, he had even been to some of their practices when neither Severide or Casey could make it which the two had really appreciated.

"..Terrible" Abbi answered whilst Casey observed her answer.

"Better" Casey laughed.
****
Whilst the other firefighters and Abbigail were sat in the common room Severide had taken Lucas to his quarters.

"So when were you going to tell me you've been skipping classes?" Severide questioned in an authoritative tone. Lucas' eyes went wide. "yeah, I know. I had a call from the school office to inform me this was the 4th class you've decided to skip these past two weeks!"

"It was a couple of classes, it's not a big deal" Lucas mumbled.

"It's not a big deal? Are you kidding me?" Severide retorted.

"What's the point, I'm failing Calculus anyway" Lucas tried to justify.

"Are you serious? You think that's a reason? Didn't we have a discussion last week about your grades! You said everything was under control?!"

"it was"

"What happened then, please just enlighten me"
***
"Here ya go" Mills handed the younger twin a sandwich as she thanked him.

"Grazie" Abbi took the sandwich from Mills. "Hey no fair!" Abbi exclaimed as Otis took half of the sandwich Mills had made Abbi whilst walking past.

"What she whining at now" Lucas grunted as he walked from the quarters with Severide.

"Lucas" Casey warned as he watched the teen sit at the dining table in the common room before looking at Severide who shook his head.