Chapter 11: Mom?

"You didn't answer the question" Gabby spat.

"I can't believe this" Abigail stormed through the halls and eventually appeared in front of the ladies toilets, once she found an empty cubicle she locked the door.

Her hands shook and tears rolled down her face, This couldn't be happening, her heart was thumping, she couldn't catch her breath. Not now please not now. The light-headedness. Please Stop. Once she had managed to calm herself she wiped her eyes and left to find Shay and Luke.

When she arrived at Shay's she had managed to compose herself though the slight pain in her chest scared her a little.

"You okay bug?" Shay asked, she was still weak but she was trying to act strong for the sake of the twins the last thing they needed was to be scared. Abigail hadn't replied to Shay only shrugged.

"When do you think you'll be discharged?" Luke asked, he had been talking to Shay about practice

"Maybe tomorrow"

"Not tried it on with the nurses yet?" Luke joked. It was the norm to joke about Shay gaining herself a date with a nurse because of her visits to the hospital whilst on shift rather than a patient.

"Who do you think I am? Of course I have. You know the blonde one with green eyes.."

"You didn't" Luke knew exactly what she had done and his suspicion was proven correct when Shay raised a piece of paper with a name and number scribbled on the front. The twins both chuckled at Shay's capability and it had been the first time that Abigail laughed since she had arrived back from the toilets.

Once the laughter died down Abi turned to her twin. "we should be going" Abi said "Bye Shay.."

"Yeah..bye Shay.." Luke gave Shay a quick hug before he stepped out of the hospital room, he hadn't even made it out the door fully when he turned to look at the injured paramedic and said "I hope you and Uncle Kelly sort whatever it is out" Shay did nothing but smile slightly at Lucas before he left to follow his twin.

Abigail had told Lucas what had happened on their way back from the hospital. Since Dawson had confronted Kelly in the hall Abigail had refused to speak to him which only added to Lucas' confusion where as Shay knew exactly what had happened.

****

Abi drove back to the apartment even though the increased thumping in her chest had yet to subside. Luke had tried to put the radio on but Abigail quickly swatted his hand away but he couldn't be sure if it was because he had started to play The Boss or for the simple fact she wanted silence.

The twins arrived home to the sound of crashing in the kitchen, at first they had thought someone had broken into the apartment and Luke quickly pushed Abigail behind him though she quickly protested. Once they had rounded the corner they both let out a sigh of relief as they caught Kelly cooking food which had come as quite a shock to the system, Kelly never cooked, he couldn't cook.

Kelly hadn't made an effort to greet the twins so Abigail had gone to her room to text Nathan. She hadn't really spoken to Nathan over the past few days and she had began to get concerned.

Downstairs Lucas couldn't bare the sight of his Uncle Kelly trying to guess what size pan to use to fry the noodles so instead he decided to help him. Cooking really wasn't Kelly Severide's strong suits.

"Uncle Kelly?" Luke asked as he passed his godfather the frying pan. Kelly nodded showing that he was listening and Luke continued "Do you think you and Shay could maybe sort things out?" Luke asked, he hated it when the two faught because it was usually about something petty like who was the last one to wash up.