Chapter 8: Panic

A/N I've made the decision to change Abigail's sport in school to gymnastics because I know more about it and I think it would be perfect for Abigail's  character, I'll be editing the chapters so this coincides. I'm also extending the length of the chapters so it isn't as 'stop start'. If you want me to edit the chapters so they match this pattern let me know.

Jay had seen the youngest Darden sat behind the bar, he'd been informed by Antonio that she had been having a tough time recently after finally allowing herself to grieve over her father's death. Even though she had used drugs to help he felt sorry for Abigail but knew Severide wouldn't just bring her to a bar without reason so he decided not to question it and try his best to cheer the unhappy teenager up.

"You're a bit young to be tending the bar and aren't you?" Jay joked as Herrmann served the Detective.

"Ha. Ha." Abi said sarcastically lifting her head from her book. It wasn't often Abigail read in public but when she did she got so involved with the book she usually ended up in the wrong place.

"What ya readin'?" Leaning over to read the title of the book the teenager was holding up he was surprised at the choice "Scott. F. Fitzgerald?" Sensing the teen wasn't really in a talkative mood he invited her over to where he was sat with some of the intelligence unit and his brother Will."Come sit with us"

"Go. I'll let Severide know" Herrmann squeezed the younger girl's shoulder as she walked towards the booth with Jay.

They had been talking for a while when all of a sudden Abi felt overwhelmed with fear, anger and panic as she sat between Antonio and Erin, it had been Ruzek who noticed the look of panic in the teenager's eyes. "Hey Kid, You feeling alright?" The whole table turned to look at Abigail which made her sink further into her chair.

"Guys I think she's having a panic attack" Jay guessed "Someone get some water or something"

Will was sat on the opposite side of the table when the conversation stopped he glanced over at the teen. "Let's get her outside, quickly"

Jay and Mouse supported Abi as they guided her outside the Buck town bar.

Gently sitting her on the sidewalk he instantly became concerned with the sudden change in her breathing pattern going from long and steady breaths to short and heavy breaths. He quickly noticed the panic in Abbi's eyes and quickly ushered himself so he was kneeling in front of the young girl.

"Abigail....Abs it's Will, Dr Halstead." Will quickly took her hand and placed them in his own. He held her hands placing one on his chest and the other on Abbi's. "Now I need you to do what I'm doing." The whole team watched as Will successfully began calming the teen down. Will started. His breaths were slow and steady. "Can you do that for me?" Abbi's breaths began to even out. "That's it champ. Good girl."

"Hey Abi, you okay sweetie?" Erin smiled weakly as she took Will's place next to Abigail so he could go and speak to Kelly, as she handed the girl a glass of water noticing her hand we're still shaking she tilted the glass so she could drink it.

"I'm okay Erin.. thank you"

"You know what you're going through sweetheart its hard and I know it's hard I've been through it, so has Mouse" Erin smiled weakly and placed the jacket Jay had given her to put on Abi so she wasn't cold. Erin hadn't been told what was going on with Abigail but having been through the same thing she had a good idea of what was happening.

"Erin's right, it's hard. You'll get there in the end kiddo" Abigail hadn't know Mouse had been involved with drugs but he had told her about his PTSD and how he thought that taking drugs would help fill the void that was left by someone who had died.