n i n e

Something had got to be different

Tahlia didn't even have the chance to wrap her head around her surroundings, as she attempted to keep up with Michelle who walked five steps ahead of her, like a swift panther.

The sound of Michelle's kitten heels rapidly clashing against the marble floor created an echo in the otherwise strange and empty hallway.

It had been ten entire days since Tahlia had last stepped foot in the Sanitorium.
Could things have muddled up in her head the past week?

But then, ten days was too short of a time frame for your memory to be playing tricks on you.

It wasn't until they passed by an unfamiliar stairwell, that Tahlia realized that the white hallway she was being led down, was not the same as the ones she'd treaded down for the past three weeks.

As realization dawned upon her, she stopped in her tracks, perplexity visibly settling in on her features.
"Uh, I'm sorry, but where are we going?"

The raven haired nurse paused, turning to face her for a small split second, "Come on, now."

"This isn't the way to his room. Where are we going?" Her voice came out firmer this time.

Michelle exhaled deeply.
"See for yourself, child."

With that, she started walking once again, leaving only the unabating pounding of her shoes to alloy with the perpetuating silence.

Tahlia reluctantly followed suit, not stopping again until they both reached a big glass gate. She watched as Michelle swiped her card against the lock. The door came undone and they entered another series of corridors, lit even exponentially brighter it seemed.

Every minute was turning into pure anticipation for her.

What is happening?

The nurse came to pause only in front of an ivory door, turning to Tahlia with a grave face.

"The Sanatorium expresses regret over the fact that the last three sessions you had with patient 201 had to be urgently rescheduled. We ran into a bit of..a, a situation, you see."

"Oh- that's actually fine. I got your email and—"

"We're in the hospital ward."

Tahlia fell silent. Both Jace and her had received mails that clearly said their sessions for the week were cancelled for 'administrative purposes'.