Ch. 6 Can You Hear Me?

Start from the beginning

'You don't want Kirstie to know.'

"I didn't say that. I want to tell you, both of you. But maybe it should wait until we find this new guy." Kevin assured him, and Avi looked at him like he'd grown two heads.

Before Kevin could question what was wrong, Kirstie came up to the car and held up the room keys. Deciding to ask later, he got out of the car with Avi close behind him. They all got their suitcases and went up to the room. When they were inside, Avi and Kirstie made a mad dash for the bigger bed.

Kirstie moved first but Avi grabbed her and pulled her back. He ran forward but Kirstie shoved him sideways into the wall. He held onto her arm and they spun a little so he was in front. Kirstie tackled him so they both fell and she quickly got off. She started to go when Avi pulled her foot and she slid back. Before Avi got to the bed Kirstie grabbed his ankle so he fell again. She then did some type of summersault on his back to keep him pinned to the floor, and finally did a swan dive on the bed.

Her face was buried in the pillow when she landed, and she lifted it up to say two words before letting it fall back down.

"I win."

Avi grumbled and got up, brushing himself off and grabbing his bag.

"Wow, all of that and you still didn't get the bed." Kevin said with a chuckle.

"Oh shush, you could've helped you know."

"I know, but I'm glad I didn't because that certainly was very entertaining to watch."

Kirstie rolled over and giggled as Avi glared at Kevin. Once they were all situated, Kevin decided it would be a good time to explore.

"I'm gonna go out for bit, anyone want to join me?" He asked, and Kirstie immediately jumped up.

"OH!!! ME!!! You're gonna pass a gift shop and I want to get a snow globe from there." She said with a grin and he chuckled.

"Alright, Avi you wanna come?"

"Nah, I'll hang back. I need to get my daily checkup out of the way anyway." He explained.

"Okay, we'll pick up some lunch on the way back. Let's go Kirst."

"Get some barbecue!" Avi called after them as they left.

"Got it!" Kirstie said, throwing up an 'ok' sign without turning around.

Avi closed the door behind them and took out his phone to call home. After a very long conversation with his family, he finally hung up his phone and put it on the charger. Talking to his family drained the battery, especially since he forgot to charge it last night. He looked at the clock and saw that Kevin and Kirstie would still be out for a bit. Deciding to pass the time, he hopped on the bigger bed and turned on the tv to watch a movie. He finally found one to his liking and relaxed on the giant bed, enjoying the space before night came.

~*~*~

Kevin and Kirstie had gone around the city, having a great time exploring. Since Kevin had read about this place when he was younger, it was Kirstie had her own personal tour guide. They saw that there were a surprising amount of parks in the big city, they saw a big ferris wheel in the distance, and they wanted to go to the space needle, but they decided to save it for another time. Kevin was walking by a building when he looked at his reflection in the window and noticed Kirstie wasn't behind him anymore.

"Kirst?" He asked aloud, looking around.

He glanced at the building in front of him and rolled his eyes when he noticed it was a gift shop. He sat down on a bench to wait, and sure enough, a few minutes later Kirstie came out holding a small bag. She sat down beside him, putting the bag by her feet, and he chuckled.

'Took you long enough.'

"Hey, I wasn't in there that long." She complained, hitting his arm lightly. "Wanna see it?"

"Sure." Kevin said, then he paused. "Wait."

"What's wrong?" She asked, and Kevin looked at her.

"How... no... uh, let me ask this way. Why did you hit my arm?"

"What do you mean?"

"When you came out here, I chuckled and you hit my arm."

"Well yeah, cause you said I was in there too long. Which still isn't true, it was only 3 minutes." She explained, and he just kept looking at her.

"But I didn't say anything."

"Yes you did! You said 'Took you long enough'." She told him in a bad impression of his voice.

'Am I speaking without realizing it?'

"I don't know, but maybe you just like talking to yourself." Kirstie shrugged, picking up her bag again.

Kevin stared at her and she looked back.

"What?" She asked, and he was about to say something but decided against it.

This was strange and he had an idea, but he couldn't be certain about it. He was finally going to clear things up, so there would be absolutely no confusion. He kept his mouth closed and made sure Kirstie locked eyes with him before testing his theory.

'Can you hear me?' He thought to himself, and Kirstie stared at his mouth. Neither of them said anything for a few moments, so he decided to try again. 'Well?'

This time she paled and looked back at his eyes. She was silent for a couple seconds before finally answering.

"... Yes."