Sophomores

"Are you excited?" Grace asked on the plane.

"I am but also nervous," I said.

"Alex, there's nothing to be nervous about now. We had an amazing summer," Grace reminded me. "And you got visited by two hot guys."

Did I forget to mention besides Matt visiting me, Erik also came to see me? Yep, but we only hung out. It was nice.

"What about Ryan?" I asked, looking at her.

"Forget Ryan. He moved on. Quit pining over him because I'm pretty sure he isn't pining over you," she said a matter of fact.

"Yeah, maybe you're right," I sighed.

Yeah, it still hung me up on Ryan even though Erik, Matt, and Grace told me to move on repeatedly.

One night, in particular, I called him only to have his girlfriend answer the phone. It didn't end well. It caused a massive fight between them and made for a furious Ryan call me. He told me to leave him alone. It crushed me.

The guys and girls weren't happy when they found out. I guess from what Matt told me, that sweet girl it wraps him up with isn't so kind. She even put a wedge between Ryan and the guys.

I was excited to see Matt and Erik, Ryan, not so much. After that mess, I deleted his number. A few weeks later, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I didn't pick up. When I answered the voicemail they left, it was a drunken Ryan who issued a scathing message, calling me names and whatnot. Telling me that I couldn't keep my legs close, that's why we weren't together.

It devastated me, and I called Matt crying. I had only been with two guys intimately ever. To have it thrown in my face as harshly as Ryan did was horrible. I didn't date anyone after that. Guys tried, but I didn't have it in me to allow someone to get close to me.

I programmed his number with the title asshole in the name, so if he called me again, I knew not to pick up, and he did. This time he was drunk but apologetic, too little, too late. I couldn't deal with him anymore. Not only did he break my heart, but he made me feel worthless.

He tried several times, but I never answered. I was over it. He had a girlfriend. Why did he need me?

Thoughts raced through my mind as we landed in Florida. Once our plane arrived, we grabbed our bags and headed to our next destination, our apartment. It seems Grace would share a flat with Ashley in my building.

I knocked on Maggie's door after we arrived, and she showed Grace her apartment than mine. Maggie left as I got settled into my apartment. Then I heard someone say, "Is it me, or did you get more tan?"

I turned around and smiled. "Matt!"

"Hey stranger," he said as I ran over and jumped up, hugging him.

"It's great to see you," I said.

"And what about me?" Another voice asked.

I let go of Matt, running to hug Erik. He let go of me. "Hmmm, happy, healthy, got a glow. Is someone in love?"

I playfully smacked him, "Uh, no single as a Pringle."

"Ah, that must be it," Erik smirked.

"So, you're telling me you didn't go out with one guy since you were home?" Matt asked.

"Nope, because, you know, don't want to be a slut and all," I said sarcastically.

"Yeah, that might not have been the best thing for him to do is call you when he was drunk and fighting with his girlfriend," Erik said.

"Whatever. Drunken thoughts are sober thoughts, so it made me realize that I'm better off alone," I said, trying to hide my hurt.

"Then, this is probably not the best time to tell you that Ryan will live in the building," Matt said sheepishly.

I gave them both a look. "You're kidding, right?" They both looked at me. "Please tell me you're kidding."

"We can't, but if it makes you feel better, he and that chick have a place together while Matty boy here and I have an apartment together," Erik said with his arm around Matt's neck.

"Even better," I said through gritted teeth.

Erik and Matt left so that I could unpack. Great, not only did I have to deal with Ryan's nonsense on the phone now, I get to see him all lovey-dovey in person with his girlfriend.

Once I finished, I made my way to the cafe to let Grayson and Heather know that I was back. I ran into Ryan and his new squeeze in the lobby.

"Alex," Ryan said.

I just gave him a look and walked by him.

"Alex! Wait!" Ryan yelled.

I stopped and turned around. "Do you think we should talk? I wouldn't want what's her name here to get mad or people to think I'm a man-stealing slut as you affectionately called me."

"My name is Allison," she shot back.

"Yeah, I don't care," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Come on, Alex. It was a mistake," Ryan apologized.

"Ryan, you're right; it was a mistake. Our whole relationship was a mistake. Did you bother to tell Miss Prissy here that you took my virginity while we were drunk? Or that you messed around with other girls when I needed you? Or how you supposedly loved me but only to break my heart repeatedly? Or the fact, I had only been with two guys like that ever? But then again, I'm a slut who steals men," I said, the harsh words oozing from my lips.

I turned and left them both standing there, shocked. I left Ryan feeling the way he did with me. I walked to the cafe and saw Gloria.

"Alex! Grayson, Alex is here!" Gloria yelled.

Grayson came out from the back and saw me. He walked over and hugged me.

"You look good," Grayson said.

"I feel good," I said with a smile.

"So, I guess you came back for your job," he said. Why did I feel he was hoping I said no?

"Yeah, sure," I answered.

"Oh," Grayson mumbled. And here it comes.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Well, we had another girl apply, and we hired her," he said cautiously.

I gave him a look as he continued. "The girl needs help with expenses while attending here."

I knew Grayson felt terrible.

"Oh, okay," I said, hiding my disappointment.

"But I could see about squeezing a few hours for you," he offered.

"Um, okay," I said, trying to act happy.

Just then, the bell chimed.

"She's here now," he said, and I turned to see Allison and Ryan, fantastic.

"You know what? It's fine. I don't want to put you in a bind. I'm sure I could find work somewhere else," I suggested.

"Are you sure?" He asked, concerned.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," I said, smiling at him. I turned and walked past them, not saying a word. Okay, first, this girl hooks up with the guy I love, then moves into my building and now takes my job. Ugh, I hate her.

I walked around until I found a coffee shop. It was small, and I met with the owner. When he found out I had worked for Grayson, he hired me on the spot. His name was Joe, and it seems he was Grayson's competition. That should be interesting.

Afterward, I went to the beach. I needed to clear my head. I had a feeling this would be an exciting year.