56

For the next few days of the trip he was treated to frosty silence by Martha. Gabriel did wake up the second day out. Trinity spends more time with Gabriel than he does with Martha.

He takes the opportunity to get a feel of Gabriel. "What happened?"

"How did you find me?" Gabriel counters the question with one of his own.

"We damn near ran you over when we were leaving the estate. You were unconscious for three days. We didn't want to leave you or Martha, so you get to come on an all expense paid luxury cruise to London. From there we will be making our way to Paris." Trinity watches his look alike intently.

"Where's Martha?"

"She's out enjoying herself on the ship. Now that I've answered your questions how about you tell me what I want to know?" Trinity asks lightly but his patience has eroded to almost nothing at this point.

"Some guys came out of nowhere and dragged Martha into an alley. I was told to bugger off and forget that I've ever seen them. I couldn't do that and started fighting them. I wasn't enough. I was doing alright for awhile then I felt a blinding pain in my head as I watched the bastards rip Martha's clothes. She fought them but they were too strong for her."

"Why didn't you use your weapons?"

"They attacked so quickly that I didn't have time to think just defend myself. I just never had time to grab them. Did those bastards take them?" Gabriel asks with his eyes shut against the pain.

"No, they didn't take anything from you. When Martha could she dressed in other clothes and helped you to stumble to a taxi and then walk the mile to the estate. At least that's what she claims. I don't know her well enough to know if she's lying through her teeth. I don't know if she's as good a liar as her sister or not."

Gabriel scoffs, "From what I could tell, she's the shittiest liar I've ever come across."

Trinity tilts his head to the side considering what Gabriel said. It's possible that she's such a good liar that she can manipulate people, but that's not going to be his problem. "She told me that her family has been abusing her sexually for years and that's why she ran away."

Gabriel stares at him in disbelief. "The Martineau family is a lot of things, but I never knew that..."

"You know about the feud between the Martineau's and my bosses." Trinity states this, it would be impossible for any person working for Martineau to not know about the feud. Not after he lost three of his children to Phoenix and Ana.

"Yes, when he broke the treaty, I thought him the stupidest man I've ever met. This was something that could only end badly. That Phoenix offered the treaty I couldn't believe it." Gabriel shakes his head. As soon as he had heard about Javier's death he read everything he could about Phoenix and the mafia's he's allied to there. What he heard made him sick and he thought Javier trying to take territory away from Phoenix was suicide. When he saw Javier's body he knew he didn't want to cross Phoenix.

Trinity was watching the man closely and could follow his thoughts fairly accurately. "Damon is scary, but Ana is the one to watch out for." Trinity leans closer and whispers, "She's the one that killed Javier." He enjoys looking at the scared look that crosses Gabriel's face. His darker self is coming to the fore once more.

Trinity sits back up once more, "What I need to know is where you stand in this. What you answer will determine what happens to you. As long as you cooperate you won't be killed. We won't ask you to help us, but we will keep you out of the fight. Or you could help us. Martha says that she wants to help us." Trinity is starting to wonder about that though.

Gabriel sits back once more amazed at Trinity's words. "She would take down her own family?"

"I told you she said that she has been sexually abused by her family for years. She has no reason to remain loyal." Trinity is getting impatient with the man. He's beginning to wonder if he's a little slow.

"I owe my allegiance to the Martineau's but, after everything, I don't know." Gabriel is confused at everything.

"Well you have a few more days to decide. I'm going to see if I can find Martha. Gerald will order you food when you're ready to eat. He'll help you to the bathroom as well if you need it. I've had some of my clothes brought in for you," Trinity nods over to the chair where he set a pile of clothes. "If you want other clothes I'll go shopping for you. Take it easy and let Gerald know of any needs." Trinity is starting to repeat himself and he doesn't like it.

He wonders where Martha has disappeared to this time. He shrugs his shoulders, she obviously doesn't mind being alone since she doesn't want his company. He goes to find some food and then takes a walk around the decks. Perhaps he'll come back and go swimming later. Maybe he can find someone wanting some companionship.

"Trinity," Trinity comes back to the present with a shock. 

"Well, Martha, I thought you weren't speaking to me anymore. To what do I owe the pleasure?" The sarcasm is thick on his words. He turns back to the ocean.

"Trinity-"

"Gabriel is awake," Trinity rudely interrupts her.

"What did he say?" Martha asks curious.

"Does it matter to you?"

"I'm sorry." Martha says to his back.

"About what? I told Ana and Damon that you want to help them. Ana will meet us in Paris."

"I'm sorry about treating you the way I have the last couple of days."

Trinity shrugs his shoulders, "It doesn't matter. What happened shouldn't have. I should have had more self control. When we get to Paris, you'll likely be assigned someone else to be your companion or whatever you want to call me. You won't have much to do with me then."

"That's not what I want." Martha sounds more than a little panicked at the idea.

Trinity turns to face her, "Then what do you want? You've made it very clear that you don't want me around. Gabriel would like to talk to you when you have time."

Trinity leaves the astounded girl crying at the ships railing.