41

Damon waits in the dark room. He hadn't been wrong, it was a very long night. At least the police jumped at the chance to provide protection to his man. Damon didn't have much faith in them and Mason is going to take his place shortly.

Ana is torn between fury of him being without further protection and worry over Trinity's protection. Jackson has had a hell of a time keeping Ana down. He should give him a bonus when this is all over.

Trinity moves and the soft noise is loud in the silent room. Only the sound of the machinery and the monitor make noise.

A groan of pain, Damon breathes easier. He's waking up.

Damon goes over to the bed and takes Trinity's hand. Damon knows when Trinity wakes up because he stiffens and squeezes his hand. Damon speaks hurriedly to calm the wounded one down. The last thing he needs is Trinity dying due to another heart attack, due to fright caused by him.

"It's just me, Trinity."

Trinity relaxes immediately. "Why does my back feel like it's on fire?"

"What is the last thing you remember?"

"I lost control of the car. I know why I hurt like hell, but I want to know why I'm burning like I'm in hell."

"You lost control of the car because you were shot. The bullet lodged in your back, how it missed your lungs and heart we still can't figure out. You damn near died of blood loss before we found the wound. You need to stop wearing black, Trinity."

"Then I need to stop being a boss. Black hides blood nicely that's why I and you wear it. Who the fuck shot me?" Trinity demands even as pain spasms through him.

"I'm not supposed to be here. I'll have to leave when the nurse comes," Damon says avoiding the question. "She should be here soon and you can get more pain medication."

"Damon, who the fuck shot me? I don't know of anyone other than Yvette and her brother that would want me dead."

Damon sighs out, "I don't know. Ana suspects as do I, that we have a traitor in the house. She has the hacker going over video surveillance from the house to see who left any where near the same time as you. She's found evidence of tampering. It's a good thing most don't know of the automatic backup.

"When I find out who is responsible I'll be flaying someone alive."

"Just don't have their skin tanned and hung, please. I still get horrendous dreams where Jerome is looking for his flayed skin."

"I won't. I don't keep trophies, you know that. It's too dangerous. The only reason Ana is able to get away with it, is how remote Hawk's nest is.

"Yvette and her brother Yanis are both dead, it isn't them. I don't think their father has come over or had time to come over yet. I don't know, but I will find out. In the mean time you have police protection and my protection as well. Mason is on his way here. He'll take over for me in the room and the police will take care of out of the room.

"I think it might be better if we pretend you didn't make it."

That reminds Trinity of Sarah, "What about Sarah, Damon?"

"She was killed instantly when the car hit the tree. You fulfilled your promise to her."

"She didn't want to die, she told me that earlier."

Damon looks at the younger man, "She didn't tell you the last option Ana gave her. It was the one Ana hoped she would take. Ana offered her a job at the estate as a maid, your personal maid. She was very clear that she would be free to come and go from the estate, that sexual favors were not a given. She was told that if she took that choice that in time she would be allowed to leave if she wanted."

"Ana is the only one at the estate that has a personal servant. Not even you have one." Trinity says hurt even more that Sarah chose the option she did.

"Ana doesn't trust any of the servants other than Gemma to be around me. She says that they all look hungry when they are around me."

Trinity tries to not laugh, "Please don't do that Damon, I already hurt like hell."

"Sorry. Now maybe I'll be able to get her to go to sleep.

"Think about faking your death for now. You'd have to live in the penthouse or Hawk's nest until we figure things out, but you'd be able to go to Sarah's funeral in disguise."

"This sucks Damon," Trinity states.

"I know. Your only assignment for now is to get better and rest up. Once Ana has the children and feels up to it, we'll be taking a little trip to France and visiting the Martineau family, or what's left of it any way." Damon's eyes glitter dangerously.

"Yes, sir." Trinity says through pain clenched teeth.

"The nurse is coming, I'll see you tomorrow or rather later today." Damon hands him something and Trinity closes his hand over it. It's his pocket knife. The blade just this side of legal. Trinity breathes a bit easier. He's gotten used to having at least one weapon with him at all time's.