7. The Bite

The only thing I could do was sit inside and wait.

I could see the sun fading behind the tree tops.

Worry was slowly overcoming me, 'Tyler could at least check in here so that I know he is alright.'

The frustration was killing me and making it impossible to follow his instruction to stay inside.

Luckily my parents hadn't been planning to go out today so nobody had made any moves to leave the house.

Not knowing if he was ok was killing me inside.

I felt like my heart was being ripped out.

Every fiber of my being was telling me to make sure he was safe.

I tried desperately for hours to relax myself and keep myself distracted, but since it was getting dark outside my worry only seemed to rise.

'He never said anything about how long he would be gone! I don't even understand why he had to leave in the first place.' I thought to myself.

I knew with how serious the look on his face was that something must be really wrong.

He must be a damn crazy person to go wondering around when he knew something was off.

Darkness had set in outside and I was seriously considering going out to look for him.

I must have lost my mind to even consider leaving the house when it's this dark out, but I needed to know that he's safe.

I went into the downstairs closet to grab a flashlight and my jacket.

'Come on girl, you can do this. Just go track him down quickly and bring him back here so that you know that he is safe.' I chanted to myself.

I'm not going to let my fears of what may or may not even be out there scare me away from making sure that he is alright.

I quietly slipped out the back door to the house so that my parents wouldn't hear me leave and flipped on my flashlight as I made my way into the darkened woods.

Ever little noise left me on edge, even just the crinkling of grass under my feet made my body go on high alert.

The only place I could think to go was the clearing.

Maybe Tyler went back there to get his backpack.

Maybe he would be there now.

It would probably be the best chance I had of finding him.

As I walked in the darkness with the beam of my flashlight leading the way I couldn't help but feel like I was being watched.

I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up alerting me to trouble, but I knew that I needed to press onward.

As I reached the clearing and walked toward the stream all of Tyler's belonging we still where he had left them.

I could feel the panic rising up in my throat when I heard a loud growling coming from behind me.

I quickly swung my body around and pointed my flashlight into the tree line where a set a deep yellow eyes stared back at me.

Fear started to overtake me as I let out a pathetic whimper.

'I'm going to die' was all that ran through my head.

The yellow eyes came closer and emerges from the darkness.

They belonged to a large matted brown wolf that stood over 5 feet tall.

It was easily the biggest animal I have ever come face to face with.