-ˏˋ twenty four ˎˊ-

☾ ☽

"yo. earth to phil."

phil looked up, blinking, and eliza grinned toothily at him, her eyes flashing.

"what?"

"that's exactly my point." her smile widened. "how come dan comes around, and suddenly you can't keep your feet on the ground?"

phil scoffed, his gaze roaming back over to dan, who was standing by the mystery book shelves, occasionally pulling one out to read the back. his hair was especially curly today, and some had fallen in his eyes, but he hadn't moved it. his cheeks were flushed, and phil could see his dimples from far away when he pressed his lips together- not exactly a smile, more like a concentrated expression.

"oh, please. you and i both know my feet have never been on the ground."

eliza laughed. "true..." she knocked on his head. "but you've never been this head over heels before."

phil rolled his eyes. she really would find any excuse to overreact.

"oh yeah? remember that time i tripped over the stage at that festival, and-"

"shut up." she glared at him lightheartedly. "smart ass."

phil chuckled, reaching up to ruffle her mousy hair. it was down today, flowing around her face. she was rather pretty, he had to admit. if he was in that kind of thing. you know. girls.

"no, but really!" she said, raising her eyebrows knowingly. "you have such a huge crush on him."

"no, i don't." he rested his chin on his hand, watching dan move. he liked how he moved; gracefully, and dignified, but also like a child discovering everything for the first time. excitable.

"uh, yeah, you do," she insisted. "why else would you bring him to work with you?"

phil bit his lip, caught. he had brought dan to watch him- he had insisted he come, even when dan explained the whole issue with his shoes recently. ultimately he agreed, as long as phil didn't tell eliza anything, and he bought him a book. and they could get hot chocolate after, but phil didn't mind that part one bit.

"because he's my friend," he muttered. "and to keep an eye on him."

eliza didn't miss a beat. "to keep an eye on him?" she repeated, and then smirked. "what, on his freckles? or maybe his slim yet beautiful figure..."

"no, shut up." phil frowned. "because something weird happened the other day. and i'm worried."

he glanced at dan again nervously, as if he would be listening, and then turned to eliza.

"jarvis came by," he said quietly, and continued when she looked confused- "dan's godfather."

"ah," she said, nodding. "so... that's a problem... why?"

"because he's awful!" phil exclaimed, a bit too loudly, and quickly lowered his voice. "he kicked dan out, remember how you found him? and it was really sketchy, he offered dan his piano if he went back..." phil chewed on the inside of his cheek, shrugging. "and i'm kinda nervous he'll take him up on that offer."

eliza nodded slowly. "okay, one, you have a crush on him, and two... yeah. i can see why that would be a concern." she leaned closer. "have you figured out anything else about...?"

phil's eyes widened. oh, yeah. eliza was still trying to figure dan out.

"oh," he blurted. "um, no. and maybe we should drop it? i mean, it's not really our business..." he smiled unconvincingly. she narrowed her eyes.

"i guess," she said slowly. "but, aren't you curious?"

phil nodded. "oh, of course." he pushed his glasses up on his nose nervously. "totally. i just don't want to pry. that's not a very friendly thing to do, right?"

"mhm, sure." she grinned crookedly. "i'll drop it, but only if you admit you have a crush on him."

phil rolled his eyes. "alright. i'll say it, but i won't mean it." he took a deep, dramatic breath. "i have a huge crush on dan," he announced.

oops. he accidentally meant it, just a little bit.

eliza smirked slyly at him, and raised her hand above the counter, holding her phone.

"recorded it! evidence-!"

phil's eyes widened. "eliza, i swear to god. how old are you, five?"

she stuck her tongue out at him.

"yo, dan! i-" she shouted, but cut herself off short, frowning. phil followed her gaze.

dan wasn't where he had been before. in fact, he was nowhere to be seen. he was gone.

"shit," phil cursed, worry washing over him. how hadn't he noticed him leave? had something happened? he pushed through the small swinging door to leave the counter. "i have to find him."

"phil, not be a genius or anything, but... why don't you just get him a piano?" she followed him out.

"you're... right." phil licked his lips. "i just don't know if there's room in the apartment..."

"well. it was worth a shot."

phil nodded, but he was frowning as he grabbed his jacket, slinging it on.

maybe she was on to something.