-ˏˋ twenty two ˎˊ-

☾ ☽

phil was acting... strange.

not bad, exactly, just odd.

he kept looking at him, a curious expression on his face. searching his features with a certain confusion, as if he was looking for something he just couldn't put his finger on.

normally dan would have questioned it, but he was so caught up in other problems, such as why his shoes had stopped working, that he forgot to. they had just started randomly malfunctioning, leaving a trail without him even noticing, and it was worrying dan immensely.

and that's when the shitstorm began.

he realized it was a mistake to not pay more attention to phil a certain saturday evening when he stopped him at his own doorway.

"dan..." he started, frowning, as if he was fighting with himself. dan raised his eyebrows.

"yeah...?"

"why did you need to use my computer the other day?"

dan froze. did he know?

oh dear, he hadn't deleted the history, had he? of course he hadn't. why did he always have to mess everything up?

"stuff for my stand," he mumbled, hoping it would suffice as an excuse. phil raised an eyebrow.

"doesn't sound like things you'd need to know for selling flowers..." he replied, which confirmed dan's worst fears.

panicking, dan slammed the door.

he tugged at his hair, mentally freaking out, trying to keep quiet. why had he reacted like that? that wasn't hiding anything. he heard phil sigh from the other side of the door.

"dan, you know you can tell me anything, right? you know that." he paused, and suddenly, his voice came off as slightly hurt. "do you even see me as a friend?"

dan screamed silently, punching himself in the stomach in anger.

"of course i do," he said back, leaning against the wood, trying to calm himself down. it was over, he was out on the streets again. there was no way phil would let him stay after he found out.

"doesn't seem like it," he heard phil mumble, and his heart jolted. "look, i just want you to know that you're safe here. okay?" his voice was soft, but he said it like he meant it. did he mean it? "you're safe here, dan. and i'm your friend. friends keep secrets."

dan heard footsteps before he could reply, and phil was gone.

phil heard pacing.

it had started quietly, and he could tell dan was trying to keep quiet without taking his shoes off. it gradually got louder; he was clearly giving up.

phil sighed, staring up at his ceiling. he didn't even mind that the thumping was keeping him up, he was so overwhelmed with confusion and worry. what was he supposed to do? dan obviously didn't want to tell him anything, but he cared about him, and he cared if he was in trouble. and based on how he had been acting recently, he definitely was.