-ˏˋ fourteen ˎˊ-

☾ ☽

when dan finally woke up, phil was asleep next to him, leaning against the couch cushions. dan rubbed at his eyes.

the flat was flooded with morning light now, so much more so than it had been when dan had fallen asleep, at who-knows-when. phil shifted in his sleep.

his hair had formed somewhat of a quiff, his glasses still on his face, almost falling off. dan smiled. there were cards in his hand from the night before.

he felt that feeling again, that indescribable fondness. giddiness washed over him.

it was a few minutes before he came to his senses enough to check the clock on the wall, and he cursed loudly, which was uncommon.

"phil!" he shook the man, grabbing his shoulder. "wake up! you're late for work-!"

phil woke up quickly, shaking off his sleepy haze. "w-what?"

"it's nine am," dan stared, and phil's eyes widened.

"what? are you serious?"

dan pointed at the wall, and phil followed his gaze, cursing as well.

he jumped up, sending cards flying everywhere. he looked at dan frantically.

"frank is gonna kill me," he mumbled. "meet me back here in five minutes. we'll catch a cab."

dan nodded, turning immediately to the bag phil had bought him to keep his new clothes in temporarily.

he picked a red t-shirt, too big for him of course, with a black rose over the chest. then he grabbed black jeans, and rushed to change in phil's bathroom.

they were actually surprisingly efficient, and before dan knew it, they were in a taxi.

"here," he said to the driver, at the usual place he got dropped off. phil stared at him oddly.

"are you sure you don't want me to-"

"no, i'm alright!" dan said cheerfully, hopping out and smiling at him. "meet you after?"

"of course, but-"

"great!" dan said loudly, cutting him off and slamming the car door.

he was rushing off before phil could even roll down the window, disappearing around a corner.

dan took a deep breath, leaning against a wall to calm down. now, instead of running, he picked up a leisurely stroll. he wasn't really late- actually, he ran his own hours.

he walked a few blocks before turning again, ducking into an open alley.

he located his bag, right where he had left it hidden behind some bicycle racks. he dragged out the black duffel bag that he had bought with the money he had made so far.

he hoisted it into his arms, humming to himself. he set up as usual, on the sidewalk, right next to the park. when he was done, he stepped back to admire his work.