VII.

WAITING GAME | VII.
(' UNLIKELY ALLIES ')

"IF YOU DON'T MIND me asking, why did your uncle want you to come and find Sansa Stark?"

Brienne's question made Raya smile to herself for some reason, "Sansa was my closest friend in King's Landing. I promised her father I would protect her." She looked at Brienne, "Why did my Uncle give you the task of finding Sansa?"

"He made a promise to Catelyn Stark," was all she said.

"Well shouldn't he be the one searching for her?"

Brienne looked at her, "You know your family's situation better than any of us. You know why he couldn't do it."

Raya looked away. She knew exactly why her Uncle couldn't do it, her mother had her claws so deep in him. Jamie would never be able to reclaim his honor if her mother was controlling.

"My mother believed that you are in love with my uncle," she looked at Brienne again, "Is it true?"

Brienne did not answer and Raya nodded.

"My Uncle has done terrible things, all for my mother. Your love has made him better since I last saw him. Thank you," Brienne didn't say a word, but Raya saw her lips quirk up in a small smile.

|***|

"Finally, regular food," Raya said as she began to shovel food in her mouth. They had been eating rabbit since they left King's Landing. Raya was happy to be eating a regular meal. Raya looked up and saw Podrick and Brienne looking at her strangely.

"What?" she asked, flickering her gaze between the two of them as she shoved more of the food into her mouth.

"Nothing," Brienne said quickly averting her gaze. Brienne slowly began to eat, as did Podrick. Raya shrugged and took a sip of her ale. A boy came over quickly to refill her cup.

"Do you need anything else?"

"No, this is just fine," Brienne said, eating more of her kidney pie.

Raya smiled as she looked at the boy, "This kidney pie is delicious."

He grinned at the compliment, "Thanks," he pulled up a chair. "The key to a good kidney pie is the ingredients."

Raya shared a look of confusion with Podrick as the boy began to talk about the many ingredients that he used in the kidney pie. Raya drank her ale, not meeting the boy's gaze as he continued to talk.

"Are you a knight?" Brienne narrowed her eyes at him.

"No."

He looked surprised, "Sorry, it's just people that wear armor are usually knights. I saw knights in King's Landing. I'm from the south, Flea Bottom born and raised. What are you guys doing here?"