Chapter 28

Deidre

We stood on our border and watched as Prince Aldric appeared with his soldiers. His eyes solely on me--a look of possession and fixation. Invictus growled and moved me to stand behind him. Prince Aldric smirked before speaking.

"You are foolish, Invictus." Prince Aldric shouted. "Hand over the vixen behind you and I promise to leave your kind alone."

"Over my dead body." Invictus growled.

Prince Aldric's eyes crinkled at the side as he grinned. "That I can arrange."

"I know what you did, Aldric. You will not be able to place the blame on me." Invictus growled. The lycans that surround our sides were growling and snarling. Everyone was already in their lycan form--their full potential power.

"Well then, less talk more doing. It would be fun to eliminate your disgusting mutts." Aldric sneered and signaled for his men to attack.

It all happened so fast. Bodies slamming against each other, being thrown onto the ground. The cries of the fallen. The roar of the angered. Invictus never left my side, although he stayed closely besides me. I knew he didn't want me to come. He insisted that I stayed behind but I will not sit back and watch who was now my family fall before my eyes. If they fight, I fight. He agreed that I can go if I stayed close to him and Akoni. Anybody that will get to me will go through them first.

They fought long and hard and I was able to kill a few vampires who attempted to kill Akoni and Invictus. Trees were destroyed. Grounds were split opened. The sky was a misty dark blue mixed with gray. A sense of weariness fell over the battle as it went from morning to evening. The sun has long disappeared when the moon came out.

Thunder can be heard over the sky as if the Moon Goddess was upset with her creations and expressing with the thundering rainy sky. I squinted in the rain as I saw a clawed and bloody Invictus rip another head off from a vampire.

A movement from behind Invictus caught my attention. It was Max being held down by two vampires. One of them moved behind him and ripped his spine out in one swift movement. I cried out and zipped to them. I threw one of them off Max. The vampire flew far back and then I grabbed the other one around the neck and in one swift movement tore his head off.  I bent down on my knees and picked up Max's body, placing it in my lap. I cried for him. He was there for me when Invictus was gone. He taught me how to fight. He was like a brother to me.

Invictus came to my side and grabbed me around the shoulder.

"Deidre, leave him. You need to stay focus!" Invictus's anguish voice commanded.

"He's dead, Invictus." I cried.

"I know, little moon. Get up now." He growled and a body slammed into Invictus's body. He flew ten yards away from me and hit the ground. I shouted Invictus's name before turning to look for Akoni. Akoni was heading toward Invictus already.

I zipped toward Invictus to help him but a vampire grabbed me around my hair and dragged me away. I cried out in pain. Invictus heard me cry and turned to look at me as he struggled to remove the vampire's heavy body off from him.

"Deidre!" He roared. "Akoni, go to Deidre!"

Akoni looked conflicted and I shook my head. "No! Help Invictus!"

I needed to get the upper hand. I twisted onto my hands and knees, forcing the vampire to stop and try to get a better grasp at my hair. The pain was excruciating.

I saw from the corner of my eyes, Akoni heading over to me. Tears brimmed my eyes at the pain but I couldn't allow him to choose me over his brother. I needed to give it my all and in an effort dug my feet in. Another vampire came into view as it's body fell on top of Invictus.