Chapter 4

"You can go to bed if you want." I asked as I ate the last piece of steak.

"I can wait."

"Why?" I asked.

"It would be better if I have you close. What if something happens to you?" He asked.

I stood up and walked over to the sink. I quickly washed it and turned around to look at him after setting it to dry on a drying mat.

"What if something happens to me? Well...then something happens. It's the way of life. People die all the time." I answered with a shrug as I moved to go around him to go back to bed. He growled viciously. I whipped around to look at him.

"Do you think life is not precious? Do you understand what will happen if you die?" He growled out angrily. His skin was prickling with hair and his size growing higher. I backed up a few steps and collided with the wall.

"I didn't say life wasn't precious. I am just saying it is the cycle of life. What exactly will happen? I am a human not a lycan who is immortal. I don't have family nor do I have friends. No one will mourn my death." I answered truthfully. His eyes flashed to a different color. It was more wolf-like and I swallowed hard. When I heard him growl again, this time more fierce I let out a scream and ran all the way to my bedroom where I closed the door. I locked it and then ran into the closet and hid in the clothes.

He was scary and it freaked me out. I wasn't sure if he was going to eat me or kill me. Either way I wasn't going to wait and find out.

A moment later, I heard a soft knock on the bedroom door.

"Deidre." His voice came on the other side. He sounded apologetic. "Please open the door."

"No." I shouted from the closet. "Stay away."

"I can't do that." He responded.

"Yes, you can. Leave me alone." I shouted again.

"Deidre, open the door or I will break it down."

Oh no. He was going to get inside. I knew he was strong enough. The other wolf was strong enough to do it. Invictus was able to kill him, so that means he was stronger. I had to move. I opened the closet door and moved to the window. I quickly unlocked it and pushed the screen out.

"Deidre?" He heard my movements.

I quickly put my feet out and hurried out. The sound of my feet hitting the ground could be heard in the middle of the night. I cursed silently. A bang was heard and a growl followed shortly after made me quicken my pace. I tripped over a root that was poking out of the ground and fell. I let out a small cry as pain shot through my ankle. I heard voices and footsteps coming closer. I quickly looked around for a hiding spot. I found a few bushes huddled together and made my way inside.

"What did you do to freak her out?" Marc's voice was heard the night.

"Nothing. I couldn't control my anger. She doesn't understand how important she is." Invictus's voice came after.

Important?

I nearly scoffed at that comment. Their footsteps came closer and I covered my mouth as I held in my breath. As their footsteps came to a full stop in front of me, they became extremely quiet.

Silently, I begged them to go look elsewhere but their feet didn't move. Instead, it remained right there in front of me. They were facing the bush that I was at. It was then I felt something crawling on my back. I let out a scream and came crawling out as fast as lightening.

"Get it off! Get it off! Get it off, please!" I cried out as I shook my back. Invictus quickly dropped down to his knee and removed the critter from my back. I shivered and threw my arms around him.

"I was wondering when you will come out." He spoke again. I pulled away from him and fixed my hair before throwing him a glare.

"Leave me alone." I muttered.

"I can if you want but there are a million more critters out here in the night. Who knows what you will encounter." Invictus replied.

I glanced around and then moved a little closer to him. His arms tightened around me. "Fine, take me back to the cabin. I will leave in the morning."

He didn't respond but stood up. He placed his hand out for me to grab. I looked at it for a while before placing my hand in his. The warmth and tingles that radiated from it calmed me down. I began trying to stand but let out a whimper as my ankle that was in pain earlier was throbbing. He frowned and effectively moved my hand to his shoulder as he crouched down to look at my ankle.

"How did you injure yourself?" He asked.

I winced as I placed both hands on his broad shoulders. "I tripped while running away from you."

He sighed and shook his head. He stood back up and with one movement, had me on his back. I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist. He kept his hands on my thighs as he walked back to the cabin.

"You are going to be the death of me." He muttered.

"That is an understatement." Marc replied wryly.

Invictus threw him a glare and I was about to speak up when Invictus interrupted me.

"You will not say another word, little moon. You and I will be going back to the cabin and you will be sleeping with me next to you. I am tired and you are keeping me from getting my sleep." He ordered. I frowned but remained quiet.

"I am sure she is keeping you from many other things too." Marc answered again and Invictus punched him in the shoulder hard. Marc did not look fazed but he did move his hand up to rub the spot that Invictus punched.

We made it back to the room. He moved me to sleep on the side that I was sleeping on before standing up fully and headed to a drawer where he took out a first aid kit. He wrapped my ankle to keep it from swelling and moving so that it would heal faster.

I watched him carefully as he did it. He might be a big bad wolf but he was gentle as a butterfly as he took care of my ankle. Two completely different people, just a moment ago I thought he was going to eat me alive.

When he finished he went back to the drawer and put the stuff away. He came back and crawled in next to me. He covered both him and I before speaking.

"Go to sleep, little moon. We will talk in the morning." He said simply.

Strange.

My life was beginning to look like it would be full of crazies.

Author's Note:

Hello!

How do you like the story so far? Should I continue? Let me know your thoughts. J

Noodles