Chapter 25

Invictus

It was late at night. Hidden in the edge of the forest were Marc, Max, Caden, Ron, and Akoni. They stood next to me as all my guards stood behind us. There were over a hundred of us as we stood and looked at the dark Palace in front of us.

"Do we truly want to start a war?" Max asked.

"They took our future Queen." Caden responded. "It wasn't just another woman. She is ours."

"Do you know how much casualties we will have? Do you remember the last time it happened? Many of us died." Ron whispered into the conversation.

"So you are willing to risk the life of your future Queen? Hide like a coward? Have those filthy cold blooded animals have their way with her?" Marc growled.

"Shut up." I commanded and they all turned to look at me. "If you don't want to risk your life, I am not asking you to be here. You can run back home. I am not leaving my mate inside that palace. I will die to save her."

"I wasn't saying that I don't-" Max began but got punched by Caden to shut him up.

"Just shut up and do what you are told." Caden growled.

Max's head slumped a little. I know he didn't mean to say that we shouldn't save Deidre. He was afraid of our future. A transparent barrier was between both their race and ours. We never declared war but we have always had disliked each other.

If I could avoid a war, I would but I knew that my lycan wanted to rip Aldric's head off his shoulders. I won't be able to stop him. Even I was still fighting for control from my lycan.

"We can't avoid it." Akoni said calmly. "It is a war that has already started the moment Deidre was taken."

I turned to meet his eyes and we both knew the truth. We will be fighting a long war. One that will break many of us and one that will end many of our lives. The weight of that sitting on my shoulders was unbearable. It was a weight that I had to carry.

We began walking toward the opening, allowing them to see us and smell us. A few rogue werewolves that were pets to the vampires came out growling. One of them shifted and stood before me.

"What is it that you want?" He sneered.

I smirked. "Pet, bring me your King."

He growled at my nickname and made a sorry attempt at swiping at my face. I grabbed his wrist and twisted it until it snapped. I leaned down to his now whimpering form and whispered in his face.

"Bring me your King." I commanded.

The werewolf in him knew the threat. Immediately, he lowered his head and nodded before clutching his broken wrist to his chest and running for his life toward the palace. The other werewolves looked hesitant. My power was forcing them to obey and their wolves knew who I was. It was hard for them not to obey what was superior to them in their face even if they decided to switch sides and work for the vampires.

Their betrayal was evident and my lycan wanted blood but I gritted my teeth and waited for the King's arrival.

An hour later, a slender pale man walked up to us. He wore nothing but all black but his piercing red eyes glowed with power. Several other vampire soldiers stood alongside him, protecting their King.

"Prince Invictus, what can I do for you?" He said coolly. His hand waved in the air in a friendly dramatic gestured but his postured told me he was anything but welcoming.

"You have something of mine." I replied.

He raised an eyebrow. "You don't say? Who?"

My jaw ticked. "You know. I demand her back, safe and unharmed."