Chapter 26

Invictus

We were not even home for a few hours when I received word from a messenger that the Vampire King has been assassinated. Shortly after the assassination, an announcement was sent. Prince Aldric--soon to be King, will be issuing war if we do not hand over Deidre. It was a threat against my race and against me.

The palace was in chaos. People were trying to find ways to stop it. The last time a war broke out, tsunami started, hurricanes began, and earth will be destroyed unless we are able to stop it. The vampire Prince was naïve. He will bring down his kind if he does not stop his irrational decisions.

"There is nothing we can do." My father said as my mother gripped his arm tightly. Fear was evident in her eyes.

"Maybe we can-"Ron started but I immediately shook my head.

"The threat was clear. Aldric will not stop."

"We can kill him." Deidre offered quietly. I thought about that too but it will be too complicated. People will be angry.

"They will still continue with the war. We killed one of their own and not just one, their Prince and soon to be king. It can't be done." Akoni spoke my thoughts.

"What do we do then?"

"Words will go around. You were seen on their territory. They will be rumors. People will think it is you who killed their king." King Simons started as he began pacing the study that everyone was crammed in.

"Then we need to prevent this war. Send me to him." Deidre said and I growled angrily. I slammed my fist into the wall nearest to me in rage. How can she say that? She was mine! I will never give her up.

"No!" I immediately replied. She stood up from the sofa she was sitting in and walked over to me. She placed a gentle hand on my cheek.

"It is the only way, Invictus. We can't destroy earth." She whispered sadly and I moved to cup her cheeks.

"I don't care about anything in this world. I only care for you. I will never give you up, little moon. You are what makes me happy-without you there is no point in living. I will fight for you and if that means going to war then so be it." I said before kissing her forehead. I pulled back to see her eyes closed tightly. When she opened them they were glassy with tears.

"But I can't bear the thought of losing any of you. I had no family and the last of mine was killed. I can't lose you. The thought of anyone of you hurting is already enough to kill me on the inside. I-"

I interrupted her by kissing her completely on the lips. She relaxed against my body as I wrapped my arms around her.

"We will figure things out together. Promise me you won't do anything irrational." I whispered into the crook of her neck.

There was a brief moment of hesitation before she spoke. "I promise."

"We will fight." My father spoke as he pulled my mother into his arms too. "If we give up and surrender like this, we will be viewed as weak. Other creatures will take advantage of us. We will slowly die from their invasions. We need to fight."

My eyes moved to my friends and to my brother. "I know this is hard for everyone of you. I will not ask you to fight for me. It is your decision."

They all quickly agreed that they will stand by me. It was the last thing we said before everyone went back to their rooms as they await the reply message that we sent to Prince Aldric. All my soldiers and the lycan race were informed of the threat. Now, all we had to do was wait. Deidre crawled into my arms and wrapped her arms around me as we slept. Her soft body pressed against mine but yet our minds were so far apart. No words were spoken.

After a moment, Deidre spoke. "I love you."

My body froze. She lifted her head up to look up at me. "I want to say that I love you, Invictus. Thank you for saving me over and over. Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for being patient with me while I adjust to this new life."

I chuckled sadly and wrapped my arms around her tighter. "I love you too, Deidre. I have always loved you. I loved you the moment I laid eyes on you and captured your scent. Ever since then, you had always been in my heart and walking around in my mind. I didn't know how to handle you, you were human but I should've known you were so much stronger. I should've believed in you. Instead, I was too afraid."

My hand came out to cup her cheek. "I am not anymore. You are my strength, my light, and my future. You are what keep me going in time of darkness like this. Don't ever leave me."

I leaned down and kissed her gently. She moved up higher to kiss me back. The kiss increased and I flipped her under me as I dominated the kiss. She allowed me it and followed behind shyly with her tongue. Her arms wrapped around my neck as her hand ran through my hair. When I pulled back, we were both breathless. Her eyes and her soul spoke so much. She loves me.

"Go to sleep, Deidre." I whispered softly before kissing her softly on the tip of nose. "I'll watch over you until you do."

She nodded and snuggled further into my body. I held her like my life depended on it. I couldn't sleep. My mind was on her and our future. I was afraid for everyone that I loved. I was afraid for my country but holding her, she gave me strength to keep a sane mind, to continue to fight for my race and our future.