Chapter 23

Author's Note:

Hello everyone,

Before you start reading this chapter, I want you to keep in mind, in this book marking isn't like any other werewolf books that you have read where they can feel each other's emotions. A marking is just a mark that places them as a mated lycan. It is like a ring. It holds nothing but a string that attaches them together as one. They can't communicate to each other through mind link (As you might've noticed most of my books don't have that). With this in mind....read but don't get mad at me and if you do get upset please don't bite my head off or we might not get to finish my stories! Hehe.

-Leila

Diedre

I licked my lips as my eyes zeroed in on his shoulder. I pushed myself off the wall and my fingers trailed up his arms to his shoulder. He remained still as my lips met his shoulder. A groan came from him at the contact. His hands came to grip me around my waist. I could feel my canines elongating and the slow hunger and thirst to mark him grew. A feral need appeared deep in my stomach and before I knew it my canines pierced his shoulder. He groaned and tightened his grip so hard on my waist. I can feel the hardness of him against my stomach and it stirred a fire inside of me.

Once I was done, I lapped at his mark to clean it up. His eyes moved to mine and a different glint was there. He placed a hand behind my head and crushed his lips onto mine. I moaned and melted into his arms.

"Goddess, I need you." He murmured against my lips.

"How much?" A lazy voice said from behind us. We turned around to see Akoni smirking and strolling towards us.

Invictus rolled his eyes. "Did you need something?"

"No." Akoni said. "But Marc does. He asked for you to meet him in his bedroom."

Invictus frowned slightly before he nodded and turned to me. "I'll see you later."

I nodded. His hand came up to rub the mark he placed on my shoulders and I moaned as I buckled slightly. He grinned and jogged toward the entrance. He did that on purpose with him gone I felt a sense of loss slightly, as if a part of me was missing.

Akoni looked at me. "So he marked you."

"Yeah." I said awkwardly as I covered my mark. Akoni's eyes moved away from my mark as he sighed.

"Well, I guess there goes my chance." He said.

"You're teasing, Akoni. Don't you want to find your mate?" I asked as we headed back out the basement.

"Of course I do." He mumbled. "But do you know how long I have lived? All this time and she hasn't shown up yet. Invictus might be jealous of me but I am more jealous of him. He has everything."

"Everything?" I asked.

"I'm not my uncle if that is what you are thinking. I mean he has you. He has his everything. I want that." He explained as we walked up the steps.

I felt bad for those who were still waiting for their mates. I can see that Akoni might have a careless exterior but on the inside he was more than he was on the outside. He was a sweetheart. I sincerely hope you find his mate soon.

We entered into the main hall when I turned to Akoni. "Hey, I'll see you later. I am going to go check on my chicken family."

He chuckled. "Don't stay out too long. Invictus might freak out. Newly marks are usually clingy."

I nodded and jogged my way out. I intended to do what Akoni said. I just wanted to check in on them and then head back inside. The sky has darkened to a dark grey with a clear indication it was going to rain in under the next hour.

When I got to the chicken coop that Invictus built the coop door was opened, feathers everywhere and a small puddle of blood on the ground. I frowned and looked around. There was nothing in sight. I crouched down and glanced inside the small coop. I was so consumed in finding my chickens I didn't pay attention to my surroundings until it was too late.

A prickle in the back of my neck had me whipping around to see who it was. My vision blurred as the last thought of my mind was I have found the betrayer.

Invictus

I arrived in the bedroom to see Marc standing in the middle of the room pacing back and forth. When he saw me he looked relieved. He walked over to me and grabbed my shoulders.

"You're here. Finally." He mumbled. I can see he looked a little nervous.

"What did you need?" I asked.

"I found my mate." He said.

"That's a good thing." I said and then saw the look of horror on his face. "Or not."

"She lives in the palace." Marc continued.

"Ok, what's her name? Who is she?" I asked.

Marc let me go and began pacing. The mark on his neck was apparent now as he was only in a loose sleeveless tank top. I moved to stop his movement. He turned to me.

"She's a new maid in this place." He growled and ran a hand through his hair. "Her name is Shayna."

"Shayna?" I repeated.

"Yes and she fvcking drives me nuts." Marc growled.

It dawned on me. The mark on his neck. I chuckled. "Don't tell me, she clawed you?"

He turned to glare at me. "It's not funny."

"What did you do?"

"Nothing! The fvcking crazy female lycan attacked me because I-" He hesitated. "It doesn't matter."

"What?" I asked now curious but I couldn't stop smiling. Marc was one of the male lycans I know who didn't want anything to do with finding his mate.

"Don't you fvcking laugh." He threatened before he spoke. "I tried kissing her. She's so fvcking beautiful. Am I supposed to feel this way?  There is this fvcking thing pulling on the inside of me. I want to be near her at all times. She-"

"Yes. You feel like you can't breathe when you aren't next to her." I said.

His eyes widened. "I'm fvcked, ain't I?"

"Yep." I chuckled. "That's exactly how I felt when I saw Deidre for the first time. Why did she claw you?"

"Hell if I know." Marc muttered. I moved to pat him on the shoulder. "You need to tell me what to do."

"You're on your own, brother." I said laughing as I walked out of the bedroom intent on finding Deidre and finishing off where we started.

Akoni

I walked up to my father's office as he had asked for me to meet him after finding Invictus. I knocked before walking in. My father looked up from his papers. Over the years with the war on edge I think he was getting more stressed. He sat his paper down as I walked over and sat down in the chair across from him.

"I have a mission for you." He started.

I raised an eyebrow. "Me?"

"Yes."

"Only me?" I asked.

He nodded. "I need you to retrieve a female lycan that has been on the run. She is the daughter of a good friend of mine."

"Did she commit a crime?" I asked.

My father shook his head. "She is just a little rebellious and ran away from home."

"Who is this friend?" I asked as I leaned forward to fold my hands on the table.

"King Maddox. The one you are going after is his oldest daughter, Princess Ophelia." My father said as he stood up and walked over to a drawer, shuffling through until he pulled out a folder. He walked back and sat down, placing the content in front of me. I flipped it opened and I couldn't breathe. Even if it was just a picture, I knew.

"I know you don't usually go-"My father started.

"No. I'm going." I said immediately. "She will be found."