47

FT : Lyon 3-1 Man City

The return to the locker rooms is silent. Today has not been a good day, and everybody knows that. 

We all sit down in our locker rooms personal seats, while Nick gets into the room with the rest of the coaching staff. Most of the girls have their faces closed emotionally speaking, and the others are just buried in silence. I don't dare to look on either side of me, because I know everybody is just guttered : fucking injury

Maybe I could've helped them

Leah, who obviously has read through my thoughts, wraps a comforting arm around my shoulders, meaningfully saying that it's not my fault. Today, we didn't find a way to crack their defense, or deal with their three-woman attack : Hegerberg, Thomis and Le Sommer surely are a force to be reckon with. 

When I flash a look at Shelina, who is in front of me, I see how angry she is at herself : maybe if she had closed Hegerberg more, there would've only been a one goal deficit, easier to deal with. Actually, our whole defense is just fazed right now : Amel is staring at her feet, while Lucy and Steph are just angry. 

My girlfriend obviously is blaming herself, even thought she shouldn't. But I can't go and tell her that right now : I know her, she needs some time to process. We'll probably have a discussion on the plane later tonight. Furthermore, night flights are calming. 

The head coach sighs. 

"We will bounce back." he says, confidence in his strong voice. Some girls lift their eyes - including me - but most of the team still has their chin directed toward the ground. "We will study harder, train harder, and psychologically be ready for the second leg, because it's a must-win situation."

SH gets up when he waves at her, probably for a leader speech. Carli, who also is very angry with her performance tonight, stands next to her.

The two co-captains exchange a look. 

"Nothing is lost yet" SH says, nodding her head. "There were good things we can rely on to keep on the good work, despite the result. But there also were awful things : we can't lose possession in the final third ; the defense needs to get together more ; our attacking players need to finish their chances. With that located as our primary mistakes, we know how to bounce back. I have faith, do you ?"

Some complimentary nods, just because we know she's right. But right now, it doesn't feel like a comeback is possible. 

Carli sighs. 

"Guys, today hurts, but tomorrow, when we wake up in Manchester, it'll be time to bounce back. I don't want to see anyone complain after tonight ; I don't want to see dark faces, people blaming themselves or each other, and people giving up. We'll show our city what we're capable of one last time, and then maybe we'll continue. Hopefully." the brunette says, determined.

SH and her exchange a look. What amazing leaders, I think to myself, always admiring those two for their composure and sense of team spirit. 

The Brit then says :

"Now, let's go eat all together, and then pack our bags and leave."

*

4:35 am

Narla barks, until Lucy makes her shut up.

Deciding that we were way too tired to actually unpack our things now - given to the fact that it's the middle of the night and that our Uber driver definitely wanted to make the talk to us because he recognized us - we head right to bed. After taking her shower, Lucy joins me in bed.

She somehow finds her usual position, which is in my arms, her head relying against my chest, and part of her body pressing on mine. I wrap my arms around her on both side, one of my hands caressing the side of her back. 

I have a smile on my face, as her smell invades my nose, and that her corporal heat just makes me feel like I'm right where I belong. When she starts breathing a little bit deeper, I kiss her forehead. 

"Love ya, sleepy head."

Lucy moves a little bit, tightening her grip on me. 

"Mhm... Kristie ?" 

"Yes ?"

"My mom wants to meet you."

That immediately makes me freeze : what on earth ? 

"Isn't your mom high over heels with Keira still ?" I ask, not very fond of the idea of having dinner with a woman that has hated me since day one just because I wasn't Lucy's ex. "I mean... I don't know if it's a good idea."

"Babe" Lucy whispers, kissing my neck softly. "I think Jordan and Demi have had a talk with her when she invited them for coffee..."

"Wait, they had coffee with your mom ?"

"And my sister, yes" my girlfriend confirms, smirking. "You know, they're both like second and third sisters to me, and my mom knows them since we're kids : they're influential. Sophie told me Jordan really pleaded your case."

"Sophie ?"

That makes Lucy smirk. 

"Yes, my little sister. Jeez, Kristie, do you ever remember anything I tell you ?"

I have a soft laugh, kissing my jaw again. 

"Sorry babe, I'm terrible at remembering names." I say, knowing that she already knew that. I then nod. "Are you sure it's a good idea ?"

"I do, actually. I mean, we're going to live together next year, she has to get used to us."

"True. Then okay, I can do that for you."

Lucy straightens a little bit, looking at me in the eyes, a big smile on her face.

"Thank you, it means a lot to me."

Instead or saying anything, I just pull her closer and kiss her, before we all fall asleep at the sound of our hearts beating in sync.