40

The next day, I wake up to a FaceTime call from an unknown number. When I pick it up and sees Lauren Holiday's face, I smile big time. 

Lucy is in the kitchen, cooking us breakfast : yesterday, I showed up at her door, and we had a long talk about how brave but crazy what I did was, and how happy she was that I chose her. She hasn't talked much lately, as we had make-up sex - the best kind of sex if you ask me - and is just happy we're back 'together'. 

When Lauren smiles, I smile as well : Narla, who has been by my side the whole night, suddenly appears on the screen for the veteran, who starts smiling. 

"Sorry, I didn't realize you had company" she jokes, smiling. 

My former FCKC teammate is probably one of the most inspirational person I've even known : her covered eyes is the proof of that. All these years, she has been through so much, especially the most recent ones. 

I smile again. 

"Oh my God, I'm so happy to see you !" I exclaim, smiling big time. 

"Me too, Kris !" she says in the same tone, obviously honest. But she didn't only call to say hello : there's something more. "So, I called because I think I have something that could make you reconsider your career."

I freeze : did Abby Wambach talk to her ? I know Lucy is listening from the kitchen, because the noises have stopped. My heart starts beating harder in my chest : I know that if I get another offer or if Cleveland insists, this will lead to another fight, and I frankly don't want that because I love her. 

Lauren, who has seen my concern, nods. 

"I've been appointed as coach" she announces, very serious. 

I raise my eyebrow, not sure what to say. 

"Congrats, mate ! Fully deserved !" I then exclaim, finding myself rude not to congratulate her for something she owed. She cracks a smile, as I say : "What team ?"

Lauren smiles. 

Obviously, something definitely is going on. I lift my eyes from the screen, caressing Narla's little head, catching eyes with Lucy, who is relying against the door, arms crossed against her chest, her glasses on. 

That's when Lauren drops the bomb : 

"It's a new team based in New Orleans, and we are willing to sign both Lucy Bronze and you, Kristie." 

"Woah." is all I manage to let out.

My first reaction is to look at Lucy : will she be ready to give up everything for me ? 

Her face has an indescribable expression on it, so indescribable that I start to worry : what if she doesn't want to leave everything behind and follow me in my home country ? Are we ready for that big step ? 

A big silence falls on the room.

________________________

Will Lucy follow Kristie to New Orleans ?

{Queen of cliff-hangers salutes you}