37

I grab my coffee, following some of my teammates outside. 

"Montpelier qualified for the semis, meaning that we'll face them in two weeks" Izzy thoughtfully lets out, frowning. 

Today, Izzy decided that we would have a 'forwards bond', meaning that, since Lieke, Izzy and I are the only forwards remaining, we would go and get our coffees together, and walk just the three of us to the training facilities.

As far as today is concerned, all eyes are on physical training, in order to be ready for Montpelier, and ultimately Reading, who is coming into town right before we have to take off for the french city. 

I nod to what Izzy said. 

"It's totally reachable" I start, but when I see the two girls look at me weirdly, I clear out : "I mean, we can totally get into the finals with the team we have." 

"I agree" the blonde says, raising her eyebrows. "But Montpelier is a tough team as well, even though they have not been in so many finals already..."

"Wolfburg has been, but they've been eliminated by Montpelier so everything is possible !" 

"I actually liked PSG" Lieke lets out, thoughtful. "Too bad they got eliminated by Rosengard, one of my Dutch teammates plays with them, and she said it's a very good club." 

Izzy and I both nod.

The way to the stadium is almost over when my phone rings. I am quite surprised to see my sister's name on the screen, especially since it's supposed to be the middle of the night where she is. I tell my teammates to go on without me, before picking up the phone. 

Sam's excited voice immediately makes me smile :

"Kristie ? Oh my God, have you heard the news ?" she asks, ecstatic. 

I immediately frown.

"What news ?"

"The NWSL will have two expansions this year..."

"Woah, that's insane ! What-"

But my sister won't let me finish.

"One of them is located in Cleveland, and they want to sign you when your contract is terminated."

I freeze.

"O-Oh."

The truth is that my sister and I have talked about Cleveland ever since we were kids : our parents would always bring us there in order to visit the city and such, and it was our all-time favorite, and still is. 

My heart suddenly shatters : this actually is an option I would consider... But what about my team here ? And Lucy ?

My sister, who obviously knows something is wrong because I am silent, sighs. My face must be pretty white right now, because a few people are looking at me weirdly. I look down at my feet, before shaking my head.

"Kratch, are you still here ?"

"Y-yah... Wait, who told you that they were interested in me ?"

"I'm not supposed to say anything to you because it's classified information, but it looks like they chose Abby Wambach, and that she highly spoke of you." Sammy says, very excited.

She knows how much of an inspiration Abby is to me : even though everybody say Sam is the new Abby, I was the one who spent the most time playing with her, and it sure was the best years of my life. 

I look at the river in front of me, absolutely lost.

"Woah, that's..."

"The best opportunity you will ever get, Kratch" Sammy says, overexcited. "You should highly consider it."

"Uhm... Do you have a number I could call... ?"

"Maybe Carli still has Abby's number, you should ask her for that and her opinion, too." 

After saying she loves me, Sam has to go because the NC coaching staff will kill her if they found out she was still awake.

When I get in the Man City locker rooms, I have a weird taste in my mouth : I know I will have to talk to Lucy about the offer.

But I'm afraid it might break us.

*  

Carli follows me in the next room, while our teammates already are gone to training. Lucy frowned when she saw me ask the veteran to have a private conversation, and if she wasn't suspecting anything now, she might be now. 

The former Dash player raises her eyebrow all along when I tell her about the new expansion team maybe wanting to sign me.

"So... You want me to tell you what you want to hear or be honest ?" the veteran asks in a very calm voice. 

I sigh. 

"Honesty."

"You should take the offer : being in Man City of course suits you, but you have to realize that being the head of a new NWSL team right before the World Cup, and at a time when everything changes for the best in women's soccer... It's an opportunity you can't miss." Cali says.

That makes me sigh again.

"I knew you'd say something like that."

There is a small silence, before Carli puts a hand on my shoulder, saying : 

"People want you back home : they need you, because you became a loved figure around the country now. Your presence could only help the NWSL grow even more : look at them now ! In two years, they created a team in LA, and then one in Atlanta and one in Cleveland... We're on the verge of becoming the best league in the world."

But I am not as happy as she is about that. 

"Yeah..."

Carli sighs, putting her arm around my shoulders, somehow very understanding on what I am going through. 

She says : 

"You know how Brian and I still work, even one continent apart ?"

I shake my head no.

"No..."

"We are honest with each other, and we both want to make it work. In order to do so, it's a lot of processing and organization and trust, but we made it. He's even moving in with me at the end of the month, because he loves me."

There is a brief pause, as I put my face in my hands. 

Carli sets her jaw. 

"If you love Lucy, and that she loves you the same way, you guys are going to work this through." the brunette says, a confident smile on her lips. I don't even have the time to understand how she figured out, as she continues : "Go and talk to her : be honest."

"Thanks, Car."

The brunette quickly hugs me. 

I know what I have to do : what I don't know is how the girl I love will react to the news that maybe I know what I will do.