40. A Mother's Love

Start from the beginning

  "....To be loved. Latin, I believe?" Henry spoke up from beside me, nodding in approval "Yeah, it suits her"  

"Amara. Yes, it seemed fitting" I said quietly "Although what surprises me the most right now is how well you're handling all this"

"I might be a bit out of practice when it comes to holding newborns, but that doesn't make me a complete dullard" Alexander stated with a quick smile in my direction.

"When was the last time you held a baby?" I asked curiously, muttering a few spells under my breath as I fished my wand from my robes and hoped that the pain in my lower abdomen would subside sooner rather than later.

"It's been a few centuries, I'll admit" Alexander confessed "But It's like riding a bicycle-not something you just forget"

"Did they even have bicycles back then?" I teased him, trying to distract myself from everything else but this fleeting feeling of untainted happiness. I wanted to hold on to this moment, cherish it, burn it into my retinas and sear it into my mind as to not forget it. Right here, right now, I had my baby girl with me and nothing could change that. She was there, with me, and I was happy. Perfectly content to just stay like this with Alexander and Henry. 

"Just ...Shush, woman, so I can get a good look at this precious little thing I've got in my arms" Alexander muttered, but I could see him smirk as he held my daughter in his arms.

"So, Aurora.....I don't want to rush you or anything, but you did send for Albus, which means that he can be here any second" Henry interjected quietly, coming to stand next to the bed and giving me a look "And I was just wondering what the plan was...?"

Alexander's head shot up, and the questioning look he sent my way was more than enough to give me pause.

"The plan?" I muttered under my breath "...I'll let you know when I have one"

Then Alexander was handing me back my baby, a look of endearment on his face as Amara gurgled in disapproval at being moved, restlessly kicking with her tiny feet and a fist waving through the air as I held her close, immediately calming down as I pressed her against my chest.

"She's perfect, Aurora" Alexander informed me as leaned against one of the many tables lined with equipment in Henry's laboratory. He seemed to want to ask something, a slight frown on his face, but stopped and shook his head.

"Don't stop now, Alexander. Ask what you want to ask" I told him, knowing what was probably on his mind.

"...The father? Does he know?" Alexander finally said, crossing his arms over his chest as he gave me an inquisitive look.

"Do you think I'd have asked you hear if he did?" I replied smartly "Of course not!"

"And why not, Aurora. Shouldn't the father be involved? Isn't that his right?" Henry piped in from my other side.

"It's....complicated" I told them, not sure how to answer their questions "Let it suffice that I can't involve him in any of this right now. It's not safe, not for any of us, and I won't risk my daughter like that-"

There was a quiet pop that interrupted whatever Alexander was about to say, announcing the presence of none other than my Godfather, Albus having apparated nearby.  He looked tired, and I realized with a startle it hadn't even been 24 hours since Sirius had passed. Immediately  I felt bad for being so selfish, to take Albus away from the important issue of Voldemort's attack and return at the Ministry, and of course Sirius's death. Maybe I shouldn't have called upon him. Maybe I should have figured this out on my own.

But the moment my Godfather saw me, a tired smile appeared on his face, although he stopped in mid-stride as he saw the tiny bundle in my arms. Upon seeing my baby girl, a shocked look came onto his face even though it was gone so quick after he schooled his face into a neutral expression. He took a couple of steps in my direction, looking hesitant as he approached me. I realized with a startle that the sight of me holding my newborn daughter in my arms must have been quite disconcerting since I hadn't exactly informed Albus about how quickly my pregnancy was progressing. He'd known I was pregnant, of course, but not how far along or what kind of toll it had taken on my body to carry the baby to term.  After everything that had happened, this must have come as quite the shock to the weary Headmaster.