Wooflan- Unintentional Outing

Start from the beginning

It was coming up to two years actually, but somehow we had never accidentally come out when the boys surprised us when we were doing something like holding hands. They always brushed it off and Lachlan was profusely glad for that, never having been confident enough. He still wasn't actually.

We kept our affection for at home, in private and away from other people. The only other people who knew about us were my family who I knew would be okay with it considering they had 2 gay children (my sister and me), one of whom married her partner. Lachlan was still sceptical but when I introduced him to my sister and her now wife, all his fears disappeared. They were completely fine with it, even congratulating us and cooing at Lachlan, who had been very shy because it was his first time meeting them.

"I think- I think I'm ready." I looked down at him in surprise, the tears still staining his cheeks in red tracks.

"Are you sure? We could just leave it for a while..." He took in a deep breath and I loosened my hold a little bit, allowing him to adjust his position in my arms.

"They'll keep asking and- and I think them knowing is better than them asking." I nodded, seeing the logic behind it. It was better to get it over and done with, facing rejection if we needed too, than letting them ask over and over as a constant reminder that they knew which was actually worse.

I stood up with Lachlan in my arms and let him adjust to walking without falling over, before I removed my arms and gripped his hand tightly. I headed towards the door, Lachlan clinging to me and just when I reached for the door handle I felt him freeze, his entire body tensing.

"You don't have to do this if you aren't ready." I said it without turning around, knowing I didn't have any impact on his decision. If he wanted to do it, he would do it. If he didn't, he wouldn't.

"I'll do it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lead him down the hallway towards to the living room, where we could both hear the voices of our friends. I could pick out Preston and Jerome with no trouble, their laughter echoing down the hallway. Mitch's voice was quieter, but he was definitely in there and the only reason I knew Vikk was in there was because I could see him sitting on the couch in the view of the doorway.

Lachlan's arm was trembling like an earthquake and I could hear his unsteady breathing, a sharp intake followed by an jolted breath out. I turned back to him and hugged him close, bringing his face towards mine. His forehead touched mine and his eyes closed, we held the position until I heard Vikk say,

"They're in the hallway." I looked at him, the blues of his eyes ringed by red from crying and his pale skin even paler than normal.

I poked my head round the door and the others looked up, Preston and Mitch's eyes going immediately to Lachlan, who ducked back out of sight. He went so far back he had to drop my hand so I gently coaxed him back into the room, and he went so far as to hide behind me.

Preston and Mitch both dropped their eyes from him, sensing how uncomfortable he was. We sat down on the spare couch and Lachlan hid his head behind my shoulder, arms wrapped around my waist. I moved my arm so one was resting behind his back and the other was at his hip.

"So I guess you know that something happened, I'm assuming Mitch and Preston told you?" They all nodded and I looked down at Lachlan, gently kissing his forehead.

There was a gasp from Mitch and suddenly the atmosphere in the room was buzzing.

"You two are together aren't you?" I nodded and Vikk let out a yell.

"You owe me 20 Jerome!" Lachlan's head jerked up and he made eye contact with Vikk, slightly shocked.

"You bet on us?" His voice was quiet and I could hear the shock in voice.

"Yeah, I walked in on you two sleeping together when we went down to Aussie, I figured I wouldn't mention it until you were ready to tell us." I smiled at Vikk gratefully, that was almost a year ago and Lachlan would have been no where near ready to come out.

Lachlan lifted his head again and looked around at all of the others, they were smiling. He kept his head out this time instead, leaning it on my shoulder and I smiled at him.

"I told you it would be fine, just like I said." Preston's head shot round, surprised.

"You thought it wasn't going do be fine?" I froze, not exactly wanting to tell them about Lachlan's family, which was the reason he was so scared.

"There were some doubts." Lachlan nodded into my shoulder but he was smiling and I could feel all his anxiety gone.

That was the best way an unintentional outing could have gone.