It was already night when Destinee and Bella were dressed for bed. Destinee was already laying in her bed in a deep sleep while Bella looked out the window as she talked on the phone with Renée. Bella's euphoria lingered in her eyes.
"So spring training's going well?"
Renée was talking on her cell. Phil was in the background, doing post-batting practice, chowing down with a couple of teammates.
"Phil's working hard. We're looking around for a house to rent, in case it becomes permanent. You'd like Jacksonville, baby."
"Actually, Forks is kind of growing on me."
"Could... a guy have something to do with that?" Renée asked, knowing that there was more.
"Maybe...", Bella said with a small smile.
"Tell me everything! Jock? Indie? Bet he's smart. Is he smart?"
"Well... he is kind of a history buff", Bella tried to avoid the lies.
She turned to find Edward sitting on her bed, smiling. She nearly dropped the phone.
"I, uh... have to go", Bella stammered.
"No way, we gotta talk boys. Are you being safe?"
Edward shot her a look. He had heard that. Bella was mortified.
"I'll call you later, Mom."
"No, wait tell me more about..."

"... Destinee?"
But Bella had already hung up.
"How did you get in here?" Bella asked Edward.
"The window. As always", he answered.
"You've been here before?"
"What else is there to do at night?"
She pushed him. He grabbed her hand and playfully pulled her onto the bed, wrestling.
"You're a peeping Tom! Perv!" Bella exclaimed.
"Shh! The Chief will hear you!"
But the electricity of their physical contact quickly overwhelmed them, their laughter quieting. He studied her face.
"I just... like watching over you."
He rose his fingers to her lips, sending a thrill up her spine.
"There's something I'd like to try."
She nodded, bedazzled by him. He took her face in his hands and hesitated to test himself, then he softly kissed her. What neither of them was prepared for was her response. Her breath came in a wild gasp. Her fingers knotted in his hair, clutching him to her. Lips parted as she breathed his scent. Then his hands gently, but forcefully pushed her face back. She opened her eyes to see that his eyes were wild and his jaw clenched. Bella looked at him mortified.
"Oh... I'm... oh."
He relaxed slightly while looking at her blushing face.
"I'm stronger than I thought."
"Wish I could say the same. I'm so embarrassed."
"Don't be. But we have to be careful. I can never lose control with you. Ever."
She nodded, then carefully laid on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her.

The next day Charlie called a cab for Destinee. She was leaving that day for the camp. She was very excited. Her things were already packed since the day before and now she was in Charlie's right embrace.
"Have fun sweetie."
"Thanks dad."
"I already miss you."
"Oh come on. It's only a week. And there exists something which is called phone."
"Yeah yeah. Greetings to your friends."
"I will tell them."
She kissed him goodbye on the cheek and got into the cab. It drove off with Charlie watching. Bella was just standing at the window with an emotionless expression.

Time skip

Bella entered to find Charlie cleaning a rifle. He started to say hello but she just blurted out:
"I have a date with Edward Cullen."
He suddenly looked like he's having an aneurysm.
"He's too old for you", he said.
"We're both juniors. I thought you liked the Cullens", she replied.
"And I thought you weren't interested in any of the boys in town."
"Edward doesn't live 'in town.' And it's in the early stage and... whatever, he's outside right now."
"Now? He's out there?"
"He wants to meet you. Officially."
"Good."
He cocked the rifle in mock-seriousness.
"Be nice, okay? He's... important."
Charlie gave his daughter a reassuring nod... then she opened the door to reveal Edward in a parka and gloves.
"Chief Swan. I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm Edward."
Edward extended his hand. Charlie took it, but grunted a hello, resisting him."
"I won't keep Bella out late tonight. We're just going to go play baseball with my family."
"Bella's going to play baseball?"
He now had something to tell Destinee. Bella was equally surprised, but hid it.
"Yes, sir, that's the plan."
"Well. More power to you, I guess."
Edward looked him in the eyes.
"She'll be safe with me, sir, I promise."
As Edward exited. Charlie held Bella back.
"You got that pepper spray?" he whispered.
"Dad."
She went out the door. Edward and Bella climbed into a massive Jeep parked in the drive.
"Your father thinks you should go to an all-girl's school", Edward said amused.
"Its not fair to read Charlie's mind", she said.
As they climbed in the Jeep, Bella noticed a baseball bat.
"And since when do vampires like baseball?"
"It's the American pastime. Plus, there's a thunderstorm coming. It's the only time we can play. You'll see why."
Storm clouded gather in the sky as Bella and Edward pulled up in the Jeep. She took in a rough baseball diamond which was set into an enormous field in the lap of the Olympic peaks. Esme and Emmett came to greet Bella.
"Good thing you're here. We need an umpire."
"She thinks we cheat", Emmet shot with a big crooked grin.
"I know you cheat. Call 'em as you see 'em", Esme told Bella.
"It's time", Alive announced just as a deep rumble of thunder shook the forest.
Bella stayed by Esme who played catcher. Alice pitched with a lightning-fast speed. Edward and Emmet took positions in the outfield. Rosalie smashed the ball with the aluminum bat. It cracked like thunder and was followed directly by a real thunder.
"Now I get why you need the thunder", Bella said to Esme.
The ball shot deep into the forest, rocketing through the trees. Edward disappeared after it.
"That has to be a home run."
"Edward's very fast", Esme told her.
Rosalie darted around the bases while Edward raced out of the forest with the ball and whipped it to the home plate. Esme caught it a millisecond before Rosalie slid in.
"Yer out?"
Esme nodded. Amazed, Bella watched as Carlisle hit a line drive. Edward and Emmett raced for the catch, diving 15 feet and colliding with such might that it sounded like enormous boulders falling. They missed the ball. Jasper whacked the next pitch deep into the forest. But before Edward could chase after it, Alice suddenly gasped.
"Stop!" she yelled, "I didn't see them."
They all stopped. Edward was immediately at Bella's side. The family instantly gathered at the home plate.
"They're traveling so quickly..." Alice began.
"You said they left the county", Rosalie interrupted.
"They did, but then they heard us."
Edward looked at Bella.
"Put your hair down."
"Like that'll help. I could smell her from across the field."
Edward ignored Rosalie as he arranges Bella's hair.
"I shouldn't have brought you here. I'm so sorry."
She'd ask why, but suddenly, they all turned as one toward the edge of the forest. There was a faint rustle, then James, Victoria and Laurent emerged. As they neared, Bella saw their bare feet, then the deep burgundy of their eyes. Laurent held up the baseball.
"I believe this belongs to you."
He tossed the ball to Carlisle who easily caught it and smiled politely.
"Thank you."
"Could you use three more players?"
"Of course."
"I'm Laurent. This is Victoria. And James."
"Would you like to bat first?"
Laurent picked up a bat. The Cullens took the field. Carlsile was the catcher, Edward was on first, with Bella behind him, near the Jeep. Bella saw that Edward's eyes were locked onto James. Laurent was at bat first.
"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."
"Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."
"Yes, we maintain a permanent residence."
The three newcomers exchanged a look of surprise.
"Really? Well, we won't be a problem any more."
"The humans were tracking us, but we led them East..."
Jasper pitched the ball, Laurent slammed it, but Alice was up a tree is a flash and the ball slammed into Alice's hand. Laurent was pissed, but James smiled ever so slightly, delighted at the discovery of worthy opponents. James was up next and he power-slammed it with amazing force. He ran past first, past Edward and Bella. The wind from the ball ruffled her hair, carrying her scent which floated to James who suddenly screeched to a halt. His head whipped around at her and he lurched into a crouch, his nostrils flaring, excitedly, eyes locked on Bella.
"You brought a snack", he said.
Edward sprung in front of Bella, baring his teeth. A feral snarl ripped from his throat. James growled back. In a flash, the Cullens rush into position behind Edward. Laurent and Victoria lined up behind James.
"The girl is with us", Carlisle said.
"We won't harm her", Laurent tried to defuse the situation.
"Just try it", Emmett warned, hungry for a battle.
"I think it best if you leave", Carlisle suggested.
"Yes, I can see the game is over. We'll go now", Laurent agreed, "James?"
But James' eyes didn't leave Edward's. Laurent put a hand on James' shoulder, which made James back into the woods with the other two. Once they're gone, Esme immediately gathered up the bats.
"Get Bella out of here. We'll follow them."
Carlisle, Jasper and a resentful Rosalie raced off after the three vampires. Edward scooped Bella up and whipped her into the Jeep and strapped her in.
"James is a tracker. I saw his mind. The hunt is his obsession, and my reaction set him off.
The tires spun as Edward whipped the jeep around.
"We're a large clan of strong fighters all protecting one vulnerable human. I just made this his most exciting game ever."
The last part was underlined by darkness and disgust in his voice. Bella blanched with the dawning realization of what she has just wrought up on them all. It was a jolting and death defying ride as the Jeep careened down the dirt mountain road, splashing through creeks, until they reached a mountain road. The Jeep sped wildly down the road.
"The first place he'll go is your house. He'll track your scent there."
"What?!?" Bella exclaimed, "Charlie's there. He's in danger because of me. Because of us!"
"Then we'll lead the tracker away from him. Somehow", Edward replied calmly.
He angrily whipped around a bend what caused the mud to fly.