Chapter 5

"You may hate me in a few seconds." Remington discreetly crouches beside me. This girl was confusing me even more with every passing minute.

"I know some of you travelled a long way to get here, and I wanted to let you know we all appreciate it greatly." Alice continues.

Daniel's mate was continuing to whisper, trying hard not to draw attention to herself and away from Alice. My face wasn't hiding the perplexed thoughts running through my mind right now.

"Just know that whatever I'm doing, is because I believe is right and you just need to trust me on-" She doesn't get to finish her sentence, as Alice continues and says something that makes my body freeze.

"You will be meeting Alexander in a little over an hour. I would like to remind you all that this is not a competition for his love, it is simply an opportunity to get to know him and for him to consider a Luna for his pack."

Wait...

"Excuse me, what?" I can't help the words that fly out of my mouth.

I see Remington's forehead make contact with her palm from the corner of my eye, as everyone looks at me.

"It's okay Kiara. We'll explain everything in a minute." Alice says in a soft tone, as if I was a bees' nest she didn't want to hit.

"Tahia? Could you please take Bianca and Willow upstairs? I'll be there in a bit." She then calls out to a girl, and quickly she emerges inviting the other two sat near me to go with her. They hesitantly do.

As soon as the room is cleared, Alice and Remington both turn to me.

"Alpha Alexander has agreed to be open to the idea of finding a girl that can become his Luna, or the closest thing to a mate." Alice says the last part weirdly.

"He has agreed? Right, and when did I agree to be one of the candidates? Because I assume that's what I'm here for." I unintentionally snap, then turn to Remington. "I told you specifically last night that I didn't want a mate, so why did you bring me here?"

I was angry that her and I had this very conversation twenty-four hours ago, yet she brings me here for that very reason. I know that I chose to come with her - and I wasn't a saint either, plotting on killing her mate - but I didn't understand why she didn't respect my choice and me opening up to her about it.

"Because I wanted you here, not necessarily for Alex but because I like you." She defends herself.

"You lied to me. This isn't a baby shower, so what really is it?" I accuse. I was still calm, but was disappointed with her.

"A little like The Hunger Games, except the winner gets to sleep with the Alpha." A man walks in. He was rather tall, with dark hair and eyes, a sharp jaw and toned body. Power radiated of off him, and if it wasn't for the smirk on his face, I would have been scared.

"Daniel, get out of here." Remington mumbles, rolling her eyes at his comment which he found amusing. I guess he was making things harder to explain for her.

She didn't have to anymore though, I didn't need an explanation. I just stared at the guy in front of me for a few moments, trying to find the man that killed my father behind the loving eyes he had focussed on his irritated mate.