°Tatakai to Kazoku°

-•Fight and Family•-

You had tried to avoid him for months. You were never at the dining hall, never at the group practices, never at any of the events anymore. Even your room was abandoned as you took your belongings and his yourself in an unoccupied storage room every night. Even if anyone did see you, you were always wearing a mask and slipped into the shadows before you could be ordered to train with them. Your mentor, however, wasn't going to have any of that.

You snarled like a feral animal, slashing at the half-man-half-omnic before you with a katana to match his. He returned the blow with equal ferocity, nearly slicing the mask you wore clean off your face.

How dare he come here! You have a vicious slash to his exposed flesh. How dare he join Blackwatch, and how dare he serve to remind you of the pain of your old life! You crossed blades with him. You were happy here! You broke apart and he dashed towards you. You had friends again! You dodged and yet still recieved a cut across your thigh. How dare he ruin your happiness!

The two of you were bleeding profusely, refusing to end the battle to treat your wounds. Standing apart from eachother, you circled like vultures. In a blink of an eye he dashed forward and ripped the blade from your hands, resting his own against your throat as he pushed you down to the ground. His eyes, once soft and full of mischief, now reflected the rage you so acutely felt.

You snarled once more behind your Oni mask and used your legs to flip him over you and set yourself free. The fight was over, even you had to admit he had won. You ignored Angela as she tried to fuss over you, and glared at Gabe through the mask for putting you in this fight with his new protogé.

Snatching a roll of bandages from the medical cart, an act that reminded you of your days training as a guard for the Shimada clan, you climbed the wall and swung yourself up onto the roof. You could care less if they were mad with you. It would be another couple weeks before you were silly enough to show your face around base again.

Jesse was the one to come and find you. You had addressed your wounds already, though your uniform definitely needed mending. He grunted as he tried to pull himself over the lip, but you didn't offer any help. You remained silent even as he flopped onto his back after managing not to fall.

"Gabriel will be furious once he learns you can't climb worth jack all," you teased, removing your mask on respect to your good friend. He was the only one you pretty yourself talk to anymore.

He chuckled and looked up at you, holding his cowboy hat to his head. "Darling, I believe he's more furious with you for forcing him to drag you here. I'll be fine."

You smirked and laid back, joining him in watching the sunset.

"You know," he sighed, "Everyone's worried about you. They've a tried asking me why you've all of a sudden abandoned human contact, but I don't have any answer for them."

You frowned, this was his way of coaxing you to talk about what was bothering you.

"I've already told you, Jesse."

"If it was simply a matter of being replaced as Gabe's favorite, you would be attending practice and trying to win your place back, not avoiding every human being like they have the plague."

Again you frowned.

"Does this have something to do with Genji and Hanamura?"

You have him a sharp look.

"Of course you'd know about that," you growled under your breath, "How do you even know I was from Hanamura?"

"I didn't, but thanks for telling me. Now what's troubling you?"

You groaned at the two you had walked into.

"I used to work for him, for Genji. I was one of his family's guards. Something happened and he and his brother were supposed to kill me. I would have died, too, if it wasn't for Angela."

"So he's a living memory you wished you could erase?"

You weren't surprised at how quickly he came to the conclusion and remained silent. He took it as his theory was correct.

The two of you didn't speak again until the last sign of the sun had dipped past the horizon.

"And I'm guessing he thinks you're dead, that's why you always wear the mask now?"

You nodded in confirmation. He whistled.

"Now that's some mess you got yourself into, Darling."

"Tell me about it," you muttered. You didn't mention the night you and Genji had spent together while you were in Hanamura. You wasted time by memorizing the image of the sky. It was a dark blue, turning into purples, pinks, and oranges in the west. Stars some brightly against their backdrop and the moon was already high in the sky despite his cousin only having just disappeared.

"What am I supposed to do," you asked the cowboy. Your voice was no louder than a whisper, yet held so much sorrow and confusion that even you accepted the fact that you were miserable.

He seemed to think about it a moment.

"Well, first I'd speak to Genji, get it off your chest and all that. Then you should probably go check in with everyone and come hang out with us again. Then I'd start working on my apology letter to Reyes," his eyes gleamed merrily at the joke. He managed to pull a small laugh from you, effectively cheering you up.

Even you had to admit that it was great to be friends with this man, even if he did have an odd fascination with Cowboys and flirted with any girl on the street who have him the time of day.

"Alright," you conceded, "Time to make the big reveal."