Recall

Present
·•×∆ו·

The train ran along the tracks, a constant rumble beneath your feet and a constant percussion in your ears. Brushing a few stray locks of hair behind your ear, your legs sat crossed, one bouncing to the beat. A song was strung on an acoustic guitar, years of experience showing through the fluidity of the verse.

You carried with you an air of superiority, though not the aloof kind, more so like the leader of a pride or a mother caring for her cubs. It seemed to pull young ones towards you whenever you walked through a city, or draw wild animals. It was a certain serenity you had.

The train car you were in was empty asides from the crates, your bag, you, and your guitar. The large doors were pulled closed, with the exception of the one you wedged open when entering. Sunlight filtered through it, illuminating each fleck of dust in the air.

Looking out, you marveled at the beauty that was the country side. You had been traveling across North America for a long time now, enough for people to recognize you each time you passed through the city.

Hell, there was even a lady and her two children that would bake you a pie each time they heard you'd be in town. From the frozen tundras of northern Canada to the festive city of Derado in Mexico, you had seen it all, lived it all, befriended it all. You knew seven different languages, acquired new skills like wood carving, programming, chemistry. In comparison to your old life, you were truly and completely free.

Then came the omnic crisis. You were, what, in 19 when the first wave hit? Unable to comprehend, you simply survived, not giving thought to your actions. You suppose it was ingrained in you, your instinct to protect. You had been raised to do so, in reflection, and upon joining the forces of Overwatch, you only drew upon your reserves of knowledge. Of course when it was disbanded, you had nothing left to work on, so you brought yourself here.

In a train car, traveling the same continent for the last time. Yes, this time you would be leaving by plane, traveling to Europe. From there you would continue to take the trains, returning back to your homeland eventually. It was strange to let your mind wander that far. After all, there'd be nothing there for you to return to. You had been dismissed from service to the Shimadas, and you no longer went by the same name. My, you couldn't even remember what your name used to be! After you left, you had to change it to a more English sounding name, attracting too much attention otherwise.

(Y/N) (L/N), that's who you were now...

It your bag, a certain buzz seemed to rattle against your water bottle. Setting the guitar down, you rummaged through until you found a device you wouldn't think you'd ever use again.

"Hello," you began cautiously.

"Agent (L/N), overwatch recall has been activated. Will you answer?"

"Athena," you greeted warmly, "You always did manage to get a hold of me. Yes, but where is the new base of operations?"

"Gibraltar, I'm sending a jet to the next train station now. Shall I let Winston know of your coming?"

"No, keep it a secret. I'd rather like to see the surprise on that big oaf's face when I walk through that door unannounced."

"As you wish, save travels Agent."

"Thank you, Athena."