Chapter Five

"REMIND ME WHY I still have you around?" Elizabeth woke up to the gruff sound of his voice. At first it felt as if it was a dream. But then she heard Vince unmistakable chuckle and wondered why would Vince be in any of her dreams. Mr. Vasquez was too strong of a temptation for a mind to stray from. "All you do is irritate me."

"Funny, I could say the same about you, Sabastian," Vince replied and Elizabeth definitely knew this wasn't a dream. She cracked one eye open before wincing at the sudden explosion of light and quickly squeezed her eyelids shut. "And I ain't leaving until she wakes up. I don't want you keeping her against her will, even though I can see why."

"You should come with an off switch," she heard his husky voice spit back. "As a matter of fact, you should come without a mouth. It seems wasted to be on you."

"You're just jealous that these lips get more action than yours get," She opened her eyes at that, squinting a little to give her eyes time to adjust. They didn't even notice she was awake and staring at them now.

"Well, that's all you seem to be getting since your right hand is so overworked," Liz couldn't hold in the laugh that bubbled up through her throat. Both heads snapped towards her and she wondered how she didn't see the resemblance before.  It was so obvious now.

She finally managed to sober up as she felt the tension in the air between her and Mr. Vasquez. It made her shiver as his eyes became intense. Vinnie seemed to sense it too as he kept glancing between the two that were now completely ignoring his presence. He cleared his throat. And then cleared it again. Vasquez sighed before breaking their stare to look at his cousin with annoyance written on his face.

"So how are you feeling, Miss Golding?" Elizabeth turned to him, taking a while to realize that he was actually speaking to her. She was confused about his question though. Why was he asking her how she felt? "You know, you fainting and all...after his breath knocked you out."

"It wasn't my breath, unless it was too fresh and minty," Elizabeth turned back to Vasquez as he quirked an eyebrow at her. She was still a little confused. And his hypnotic eyes weren't making it any easier to remember anything. "Was it?"

"No, I don't think so," she said as he helped her sit up in the sofa she was laying in. "What happened again?"

It was then she took notice that they were in his office. And she remembered him kissing her. She looked up at Vasquez then, who was staring at her intently, and she felt her cheeks burn with a fever.

"I think she remembers now," Vince spoke up and she actually blushed harder, spreading to her chest and to the roots of her hair. "So it wasn't his breath?"

"N-no," she stuttered and shook her head. She felt absolutely embarrassed and she wasn't the one that kissed him. He kissed her! But dammit, if she didn't go ahead and mess that up. Or rather fall unconscious. That had never happened before and she was ashamed of the reason. "It was actually because..."

She then stood up, making Vince step back to give her room. But Vasquez stood firmly where he was, not giving her any room to breathe. And he was the one she needed space from so that enough oxygen could get to her brain.

"Because?" He cocked his head at her, his arms folded across his chest and she noticed how taut the shirt was across his chest, showing all those muscles that made a stumble a little. He reached out his hand and gripped her arm. "Elizabeth, is something wrong?"

'Yes, something is definitely wrong. You shouldn't be affecting me like this so stay away from me.' She wanted to say, but couldn't get the words out. That would be akin to wearing her heart on her sleeve. She couldn't let that happen. He was practically a total stranger to her anyway.