CHAPTER ONE - New school and new people.

-- Nico di Angelo POV --

C H A P T E R 1

My sister and I finally arrive at my school. It seems huge. People are everywhere, in groups. There are the punks, the nerds, the popular or, like I was before, the rejects. Always alone, isolated, sad.

I kiss my sister's cheek and get out of the car. I look around, hesitating. I don't know what to do and I'm nervous. What if everything goes wrong and I end up with the rejects again?

No. It won't happen. I just smile, talk, act like I'm confident, and it'll be okay.

------

I'm in the school, and I was right: it's huge. I'll get lost for sure. I don't even know where my room is.

I hope my roommates will be nice.

I finally find my room and open the door, a little scared. I look and I see a dark-haired boy talking with a professor and his mother.

"Please, I want to have a room alone. I have night problems," he says.
"You can't, Mr. Valdez. You'll have to deal with it," the professor replies.

She finally notices me and smile. A dry, cruel smile.

"Oh, Leo. One of your new roommate is here," his mother says with a warm smile. "We'll leave you alone now. See you soon."

The mother, who looks Spanish or something-just like the boy-and the professor leave.

I stand awkwardly next to Leo. He gives me a hand-shake.

"Hey, man. I'm Leo Valdez. Nice to meet ya'."

I smile. He seems nice. I think he is one year older than me, but he's really small and looks like an elf. His eyes are brown, warm and friendly. He seems like a troublemaker: someone who always make jokes.

"Hey. Nice to meet you too. I'm Nico di Angelo."

He laughs. What, did I say something funny? I think he just always laugh at everything.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'm going in the shower," Leo says.

"Oh, okay. See you later then," I reply.

I smile without being shy. That's a new thing for me: talking to people, make friends, etc.. I like it.

I think Leo can become a good friend. He seems funny, caring and dynamic. I love how his hair is super-curly and how his warm eyes bright up when he smiles, which is almost all the time. My eyes are not warm, not at all. They are black, cold and I always have dark rings under them. My hair are also black and greasy. My skin is white, even if I'm Italian. My appearance is not the most attractive on Earth, as you see.

Leo is singing in the shower. I laugh in silence. He has a horrible voice.

"Let it go, let it gooo, can't hold it back anymore!"

I walk towards the bathroom door and put my ear on it to hear better. I laugh again, louder this time.

"N-nico? Are you laughing at me?" Leo says with a fake offense in his voice.

"Uh, no..."

I hear noises in the bathroom and Leo opens the door. He's just wearing a towel. I blush and look away.

"Oh, I make you blush? Do you want me to put on some clothes?" Leo teases.

It makes me blush even harder. My face is now bright red.

"H-hum...Yes, please."

Leo winks at me and laugh. He takes pants and a shirt and go back in the bathroom. I'm unconsciously smiling when a tall and blonde boy walks in the room. He has a scar above his lip and his eyes are piercing blue. He waves at me.

"Hey! I'm Jason Grace. How are you?"

Wow, this guy seems...perfect. Handsome, friendly, and he looks intelligent. He wears black Ray-Ban glasses.

"I'm fine, thanks. I'm Nico di Angelo," I say, trying to be nice.

Jason put his bag on a bed. He shakes my hand.

"You must be new. I'm the captain of the football team and I can help you with your homework if you want. I think I'm...two years older than you? Anyway, It's cool to meet new people here, in Half-Blood High School. Do you play football?"

Woah, Jason talks a lot. He must be really popular. I bet he has a super-cute girlfriend.

"No, I don't play football. In fact...I don't do sports at all. Maybe I can try, if you want me too," I propose.

At this exact moment, another guy walks in the room. He looks at us with a cruel, unfriendly smile. His hair are blonde and tern. He has blue-gray eyes that look really tired and bored. He's tall and too skinny. He doesn't talk, he just walk like a robot and sit on his bed.

"Hey, I'm Jas-"

"I know who you are, Grace. And I don't want to talk to any of you," the unfriendly boy says.

Jason looks at his feet, looking a little sad. I whisper:

"It's okay, man. I don't know what's this guy problem."

"I'm Octavian, by the way. And I can hear every single word you say, Dark Boy," the skinny blonde spat dryly.

Leo Valdez open the bathroom door with a mischievous smile.

"Hey, Nico, I'm dressed up...Whoah. I see the others have arrived!"

He walks behind me and rumble something in my ear. At first, I don't understand, but then I do. I laugh. He just called Octavian something I don't want to repeat out loud. Jason and Leo are nice, but I don't think Octavian and I are going to be friends...