a betrayal

"'I mean... if somebody made a mistake,' harry went on, 'and let something slip, I know they didn't mean to do it. it's not their fault,' he repeated, again a little louder than he would usually have spoken. 'we've got to trust each other.'" 
                                            - harry potter (harry potter and the deathly hallows)

°

Weeks flew by, and soon it was time for the Hogsmeade trip. Astoria left the castle grounds with Daphne on one of December's colder days, covered almost from head to toe with coats, jackets, and scarves.

"Who're you going with?" Astoria asked her sister as they entered Gladrags Wizardwear.

"Blaise," the girl replied, a smile quickly gracing her face. "He asked me a week ago."

"Let's hope he and Draco know how to dance," Astoria snickered as they started examining racks and racks of dresses, the younger girl avoiding anything green. "This would be cute on you, Daphne."

"No, thanks," the girl said, wrinkling her nose at the dress Astoria was holding up. "I don't like orange."

"This is going to take forever." Astoria fell dramatically against a wall.

Because the universe constantly had to prove her wrong, she found a dress five minutes later.

°

On the way back to Hogsmeade, the stars started reappearing again. The panicked girl barely made it to the Slytherin common room before the world turned black.

°

When Astoria woke up, she decided to go back to her dormitory to sleep. Climbing up the stairs, the girl realized that there were noises coming from her dormitory. The girl frowned, took her wand out and muttered "Homenum revelio". The spell kicked in immediately, and she saw the outline of two figures making out. Sighing, the girl stopped on the stairway. On the one hand, she needed to sleep. On the other, she didn't want to walk in on - on, well, whatever was going on up there.

"Come on, dinner doesn't end for another hour," the girl's voice said from inside. Pansy. So she's rebounded quickly, Astoria thought, slightly relieved. Maybe if Pansy was distracted by someone she'd stop torturing Astoria about Draco.

The other person said something too quiet for the eavesdropping girl to hear. Deciding to end this now, Astoria finished walking up the staircase and knocked on the door. "I'm coming in, so everybody better be decent!" She waited five seconds and then entered.

Draco Malfoy was standing in the middle of the room, caught in the middle of trying to hide behind Millicent's trunk. Pansy seemed smug and satisfied, as she curled her lip up, looked between the two, and made for the door. "I think I'll leave you two to talk," she said, and there was no hiding the malicious pleasure in her voice. She slammed the door behind her.

"What the hell were you doing?" Astoria burst out after casting a Muffilato charm on the room. She wouldn't give Pansy the privilege of eavesdropping.

Draco straightened, unable to meet her eyes. "I-"

She crossed the room and slapped him. Then her eyes widened as she realized what she'd done. Draco would surely quit Hogwarts again...

Let him, she thought bitterly. I don't care anymore. She turned to leave.

"I'm sorry, Astoria," the boy said, putting a hand on her arm.

She whirled back around so that she was facing him again. "Don't you dare touch me, you -" she broke off. Words couldn't express the absolute loathing she felt towards the boy standing in front of her. She punched him in the chest, and then in the face, not caring that blood was spurting from his nose. "If you ever try to talk to me again, you foul git, I will hex you to oblivion."

He stood there for a moment, looking at her, then the blood on his hands, then her again. "I'm so -"

"Get out." The girl's voice shook with anger.

"Fine. If you're unwilling to forgive, I won't try apologizing any longer." He left, like the slimy ferret he was.