forgiven but not forgotten

"you know what I loved most about your mother? she could always help me find light in the darkness. she made the world - my world, anyway - less - what was the word you used - 'murky'." 
                              - draco malfoy (the cursed child)

Even though the timeline had been altered and Astoria had never slapped Draco, they were still in a huge fight. The next morning over breakfast, Draco completely ignored Astoria. She didn't mind, though. Her heart would start to race against her will if he talked to her.

"Pansy, tell Astoria to pass the omelets," Draco said loudly to his girlfriend. Astoria rolled her eyes.

"Pansy, tell Draco that he's being an insufferable git."

"Blaise, tell Astoria that Draco thinks her hair looks like a bird's nest - a significant improvement."

"Blaise, tell Draco -"

"Stop it, you two!" Pansy screeched, dragging her fighting friends out into the hallway, Blaise trailing after her. Once Pansy released him from her death grasp, Draco leaned against the wall, looking at Astoria cooly. The girl responded by rolling her eyes at him.

"You guys are driving me mad," Pansy stated firmly.

Draco smirked. "I'm driving you mad, Pansy, Astoria has nothing to do with it -"

"Shut up!" Blaise yelled, shooting a disgusted look at his friend. "What Pansy meant to say is that you guys fighting has gotten really annoying, so please just... um, make up?" he finished weakly.

"I'm not apologizing unless she apologizes," Draco said, jerking his chin at Astoria.

"Way to be childish," Astoria snapped.

Pansy gave an over-exaggerated sigh. "We're not leaving this corridor until you guys are cool again."

"You might want to conjure up some sleeping bags, then, because I've got a feeling we'll be here for awhile," Draco drawled.

"I really want to slap you right now," Astoria said through gritted teeth, ignoring her friends' looks of panic. "But it'd hurt your pride too much, so I won't."

Draco scoffed. "Whatever, Astoria."

Astoria thrust her fists into her pockets in order to stop herself from wiping that smug look off his face. Her hand touched something crumbled and rough; frowning, she pulled it out and saw it was the note Draco had left her before she'd changed the timeline.

I do care about you very much. - Malfoy

Great way of showing it, Astoria thought to herself. "Five hundred butterbeers on the wall, five hundred butterbeers... take one down, pass it around, four hundred and ninety-nine butterbeers on the wall..." she sang quietly to herself.

Draco's eye twitched. "Fine, fine, I apologize, only because she's being so bloody annoying."

Astoria beamed. "Wonderful. I accept your apology."

"Oi! Where are you going?" Draco yelled after her, watching her jog down the hall.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" the girl called back. As soon as she turned a corner and was out of sight, she slowed her place. The stars were beginning to appear again; now would be a horrible time to faint. She was almost there...