lost time

"sweets, they help you make friends." 
                  - astoria greengrass (cursed child)

°

"I brought you dinner."

"Thanks."

Draco and Astoria stared at each other.

Finally, he cleared his throat. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay," Astoria lied. In truth, she couldn't stop shaking, her hand was still bandaged up from the glass incident, and her head was pounding like crazy. Oh, and she was dying. She had to get used to that one.

Draco stared at her some more, and Astoria felt a blush rise to her cheeks. "Why are you looking at me like that?" she finally asked.

Draco sat down on a chair next to her bed. "You don't look 'okay'. You look terrible." He eyed her hands, which were still shaking.

"Can't have one of your friends looking anything less than perfect," Astoria said sarcastically, a sudden anger rising within her, triggered by his coldness.

Draco furrowed his brows. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Exactly what you think it does," Astoria spat. "You don't know anything about me, Malfoy, and you don't want to. But it looks bad that one of the Slytherins are still in the hospital after fighting the Gryffindor house so you try to make the person feel better so they'll recover as soon as possible. Thanks, but no thanks."

Draco looked considerably taken aback. "I know things about you," he protested.

Astoria rolled her eyes. "Like what?"

"Your sister is Daphne Greengrass."

"Everyone in the school knows that."

"Your favorite color is green."

"I'm in Slytherin, aren't I?"

"Your favorite food is pancakes."

"I say that every day!" Astoria said, growing angrier by the minute. "Are you going to say that my eyes are brown next?"

"Hazel, actually," Draco murmured. Astoria stared at him, and he sighed. "Look, I give up, okay? All I did was bring you dinner and now you're all mad at me!"

"Please leave," Astoria said, feeling faint again. The stars reappeared.

"No, I'm not going to leave until you apologize, Astoria," Draco said irritably, crossing his arms and slumping back in his chair.

"I'm not apologizing to you."It's hard to see him through all the stars, Astoria thought.

"Well, then, I guess I'll just have to stay here until you do."

The stars burst in an explosion of light, and Astoria fainted.

"A common side effect -"

"Of what?" Pansy's voice was murky and sounded very far away.

"She hasn't told you? I'll let her tell you on her own terms. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to perform more examinations on her. Visiting hours are over. Yes, Malfoy, they just ended. Out! The lot of you! Out!"

Astoria heard footsteps and then a door slamming. Cautiously, she opened her eyes. Madam Pomfrey was straightening out her blankets.